1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing and Unfreezing, I Fear the HD Is Going

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Galleherjazz, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galleherjazz

Galleherjazz Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stephen
    For several days, perhaps a week, my HP Pavilion has been getting more and more difficult to use. It boots ok, seems to be functioning properly for a while, then it freezes (the hourglass sits and sits) and then just as suddenly, it unfreezes. I have run several cleanup programs and antiviruses and while it empties most temp files and finds some minor malware, the problem persists.

I have been unable to find on my HP or to successfully download a hardware diagnostics from HP. I am writing this post in Safe Mode with Networking and there seems no freezing or sluggishness is showing up.

As to what is affected by the slow-up and freezing, everything! The browsers become sluggish. My mail program is slow, opening programs is slow, opening and editing Word documents is slow or impossible. In other words, all functions are become retarded. Usually, if I wait long enough the screen will suddenly self-correct and I can get things to function. But it isn't long before things get retarded again.

In my research I read over and over that the hard drive is probably failing. I wish I were able to access if this is, in fact, so, before I take the leap and abandon this PC!

One additional thing: this problem of freezing-->unfreezing-->freezing started after I installed a long list of 24 Windows updates about a week ago. I wonder if one or more of those updates had anything to do with this.

I tried a system restore, and it turns out there were no restore points! Where might they have gone? Could the culprit be a particularly nasty malware or virus that none of my programs has detected?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16384 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5450, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 939712 MB, Free - 595961 MB; D: Total - 11997 MB, Free - 1427 MB; L: Total - 1430795 MB, Free - 1398418 MB; M: Total - 2861584 MB, Free - 2186313 MB; N: Total - 3815413 MB, Free - 3210969 MB; O: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 317377 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2A86
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

2. donetao

donetao Banned

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!