1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing Computer Blues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EnderW, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnderW

EnderW Thread Starter

I've had my computer for several years now. I have other ones but I also have a family that is extremely wired. So I can't always been on the computer I want to be on.

This computer has had its series of problems and upgrades. Its specs are:

450 Mhz Pentium II
    128MB PC133 RAM RAM
    Matrox MGA-G200 xAGP Graphics Controller
    40x CD-ROM

This is connected to the internet through a cable running from my Linksys Wireless Router and Roadrunner. The router was purchased primarily for my other computers, which are located throughout the house.

This "freezing" problem I had first began back when I was running Windows 98. It actually didn't freeze then, it just restarted itself. We (my father and I) attributed this problem to overheating. We replaced the power supply and casing in order to soothe the problem. It worked for a while... but then the computer started restarting again.

It got to the point where the computer was unusable. We purchased a WinBook J Pro along with Windows 2000 and decided to install Win2k on this computer to see if it would fix the problem. It worked.... for a while.

I went away for a month and upon my return, this computer started to freeze. My brother has his own computer and doesn't use this one, neither does my father. So it couldn't have been a software problem. It froze and it froze till it got completely unbearable. So, I did the sensible thing and spent a day backing up my files. Then, I wiped the hard-drive clean and and reinstalled Win2k. Worked... for a while.

It kept freezing so we were really stumped. This is all over the course of several months. Since then we reinstalled Win2k again, we've removed my voodoo3, changed RAM and scoured the hard-drive for anything we think might cause it to freeze.

Of course, my Dad is stubborn and won't have it looked at professionally. I am desperate. When it freezes, it seems all operations stop. The cursor freezes along with the screen and any music I'm playing at the time repeats the sound that was playing at the instant the computer froze.

In conclusion, HELP! ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Reply, PM me or IM me at "JtenGW" or whatever. I just need something to try.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

What have you done as far as trying to check it out?? Have you updated & ran a virus scan? Did you run Ad-aware for spyware? Have you cleaned the system & harddrive up? How about scan & defragged ?
    Also... you may have to many items in your startup list... this will cause you similiar problems.

Savvy :)

just in case ...

My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

for a free virus scanner you can add to your system... go get AVG. Click here to download AVG

and to protect yourself from hackers etc... Get Zone Alarm
    Click here the free version is fine

then there is spyware ... go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

this should get you in pretty good shape

cleanup http://www.piersontech.com/07-CleanHardDrive.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!