1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing computer/disappearing cursor

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by catladee, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catladee

catladee Thread Starter

Hi, All. I am having problems with my computer freezing anywhere it feels like it. I don't seem to be able to find any consistancies with a specific program or anything. But, a couple of hours into my session, it just freezes where I am. Sometimes the cursor completely disappears.

I have had to turn the power off and then on again to get out of it and am getting worn out from all this restarting! Can someone help me out to troubleshoot this problem? I know enough to be dangerous. LOL!

Thanks!

Klimbing the Walls, Kitty

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Standard troubleshooting.

Scan on-line for virus Trojan or variant at http://housecall.trendmicro.com - click the Scan Now link.

Are you using Mcaffee Anti-virus and have not recently paid for a suscription update? Let me know.

Do you have a firewall running like free Sygate from http://download.com ?

Check your available resources by right-clicking My Computer; clicking Properties; Click the Performance tab. Resources available are displayed as percent there at top. Check it when you get done running the System Configuration Utility mentioned below.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quotation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

It's important that you print out the above mentioned list. The site provides a printer friendly link.

In the System Configuration Utility (SCU), you can uncheck programs you suspect one at a time and restart your computer. If something doesn't work right, you can always go back into the SCU and re-check it and restart your computer via the Start button. The changes are completely reversible by re-checking an item in SCU or by selecting Normal Startup under the General tab in the SCU and all the programs listed run when Windows starts as it was before you started.

3. catladee

catladee Thread Starter

Housecall found nothing. I am running Norton AntiVirus without a firewall and I just purchased it with a one year subscription.

Thanks for the advice on the Startup options. I am trying what you said and restarting each time. Will take time but, it has taken more time having to reboot after every freeze!

I will let you know if it works!

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Let's take a look at what is running at start up.

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

IF you get an error saying msvbvm60.dll is missing,
    Download the and run MS visual basic 6.0 runtime files

Later we may have you go into the config portion of HJT and post a startup list also, but lets start easy with just the scan.

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Boot into Safe Mode to do your troubleshooting:

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

6. catladee

catladee Thread Starter

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.3
    Scan saved at 5:44:28 PM, on 10/18/03
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\CSINJECT.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON UTILITIES\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SYMTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\SHAREDLL\CTNOTIFY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\AUDIOHQ\AHQTB.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\STOPZILLA!\STOPZILLA.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\LOGITECH\ITOUCH\ITOUCH.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\LOGITECH\MOUSEWARE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\SHAREDLL\MEDIADET.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E3215F20-3212-11D6-9F8B-00D0B743919D} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\StopzillaBHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIGART] c:\ati\gart\atigart.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NPROTECT] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioHQ] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [STOPzilla] C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\Stopzilla.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] LOGI_MWX.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CSINJECT.EXE] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPROTECT] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: MSN (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37881.3598726852
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {CA034DCC-A580-4333-B52F-15F98C42E04C} (Downloader Class) - https://www.stopzilla.com/_download/Auto_Installer/dwnldr.cab
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/76808a0e7ae82f/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab

7. catladee

catladee Thread Starter

Can someone please look at my HJT scan above and advise? Thanks.

Ok, so my husband ran scanreg in dos mode and it says there are no errors. However, when he runs scanreg /fix in dos it gets to 79% and says, "Registry repair results - windows found an error in your system file and was unable to fix the problem. Try deleting some files to free up disk space on your windows drive. If that doesn't work, then you will need to install windows to a new directory."

Does this ad to our quest to make my computer not freeze up?

8. catladee

catladee Thread Starter

Further info:

Capacity of Windows drive - 14.9 gb partition
    Free space - 6.64 gb

9. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Your HJT log is clean (y)

As for scandisk hanging up, try a little cleaning in DOS

How to Delete in DOS and be done with it. Quick. Efficient

Start > Shutdown and Restart in MS_DOS mode

Once in DOS type in the following commands exactly:

SMARTDRV.EXE

CD \WINDOWS
    DELTREE /Y COOKIES
    DELTREE /Y HISTORY
    DELTREE /Y RECENT
    DELTREE /Y TEMP
    DELTREE /Y TEMPOR~1

ctrl-alt-delete to reboot to windows

Fear not, all of these folders will be recreated when you reboot windows.

Run ScanDisk again and see if it is successful.

Now that you have gotten rid of that "land fill" called Temporary Internet Files, you may want to reboot into Safe Mode and run defrag.

If you have never deleted Temporary Internet Files in the past, my guess is that you can recover 50 - 500 meg of HD space. Maybe more if you have never done it since day one.

The most space I have ever recovered from someone's PC was a whopping 2.3 gig.

10. catladee

catladee Thread Starter

Thank you, Nitehawk for the clean up. I do often clear out my temp files but this was a "for sure" way to delete all those hidden files.

However, it did not solve the problem of freezing. My computer is still randomly freezing.....HELP!

11. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Try running scandisk in DOS.
    Shutdown and reboot into DOS, not just a DOS window.
    Will it complete? IF not, what exactly is the error you get?

12. catladee

catladee Thread Starter

Well, I did the scandisk in DOS. No change. Still freezing. What now? Oh, yes, it did complete with no error.

Oh, by the way, my husband is no longer here. Taken away for Spousal abuse to say nothing of what he has done to my computer! Hope you can help me, NiteHawk!

13. catladee

catladee Thread Starter

I know that my husband was fiddling with the Registry and has put Win98 on this computer 2X in the last few weeks to correct his errors.....don't know if it worked, but still freezing.

Any help would be welcomed! Hope you all had a great Turkey day!

14. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Let's start with a fresh HJT scan. HJT has been updated several times recently so go here and get the latest program.

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to unzip it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet[color]. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

IF you get an error saying msvbvm60.dll is missing,
    Download and run the MS visual basic 6.0 runtime files

15. catladee

catladee Thread Starter

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 7:52:55 AM, on 12/1/03
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SYMTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\LOGITECH\MOUSEWARE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON UTILITIES\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\STOPZILLA!\STOPZILLA.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E3215F20-3212-11D6-9F8B-00D0B743919D} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\StopzillaBHO.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] LOGI_MWX.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NPROTECT] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [STOPzilla] C:\Program Files\STOPzilla!\Stopzilla.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"
    O4 - Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = D:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
    O4 - Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = D:\Program Files\Quicken\QWDLLS.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Billminder.lnk = D:\Program Files\Quicken\billmind.exe
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: MSN (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37923.5383912037
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab
    O16 - DPF: Toki Toki Boom - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/vtm_x.cab
    O16 - DPF: {CA034DCC-A580-4333-B52F-15F98C42E04C} (Downloader Class) - https://www.stopzilla.com/_download/Auto_Installer/dwnldr.cab

Thanks for all your help, guys!!! Catladee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice