1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

freezing computer.(memtest freezing aswell)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sammich, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sammich

sammich Thread Starter

so I got a computer that keeps freezing up on me. sometimes it runs for hours before hanging, and sometimes it hangs every 5-10 minutes.

I ran memtest and it seemed to freeze up during memtest. the little blinking icon was normal, but the test wasnt running and the commands didnt work.

does this mean that my memory sticks are bad?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

3. RowdeyRebel

RowdeyRebel

Almost certain that a bad mem stick is the culprit. How old is the system , what type of RAM are you using . If the system is used , it doesn't hurt to inspect the RAM anyway . Sometimes people will stick any old RAM chip in a system they are getting rid of just to have it in the slot , but pay no attention to bus speed etc. So try the 1 stick at a time TS idea , but also check your puter specs to insure that the ram installed is correct for the system board. To further your TS , you can attempt to start in safe mode , which will eliminat eany startup software of system services that may hang it during startup , but Don't lose focus on the RAM. I still think thats the snake in the grass. Also if you have noticed any dust inside the case----you may have a heat problem ----or ------not to add to your demize-----listen for a nocking sound or a louder than normal whine comming from the hard drive as this can also effect hangups and random boot problems

4. sammich

sammich Thread Starter

rowdey rebel: Yea you know what, my case is always open, but we did clean out all the dirt not too long ago. it was fine for maybe a couple days, but then it started freezing up again. Also whenever its about to freeze, I hear some wheezing noises coming from my computer. so many hardware problems :(

5. sammich

sammich Thread Starter

6. blues_harp28

Hi can you tell where this wheezing is coming from?
    Try.
    Remove Ram..Video cards from their slots

Plug in the RAM [one stick at a time].
    Also try different slots.
    Ensure it is seated correctly.
    Reseat Video card.

Check Hard drive and Motherboard connections [IDE]
    Take them off and reseat them.

Check that the processor fan rotate.

7. sammich

sammich Thread Starter

thanks for the reply blues_harp,

I don't know whether I'll be able to, because the wheezing only happens, when the comp is about to freeze. Its almost like a warning, and its more of a light scratchy sound than wheezing, but it sounds like it comes from the upper face side of my box. I think its the hard drive, because I have a 70g c drive, and a 500g D drive(1 partition :S). let me know if this helps in ur diagnosis

8. blues_harp28

How many Ram sticks do you have installed?
    Did you try each one on it's own?

Also if it is the hard drive--back up all your needed data externally, just in case.

9. RowdeyRebel

RowdeyRebel

Ok ------1st. -----yes ---Take out 1 ram stick , preferable the one in the # 2 slot first ( all of this with the puter off ) then restart.
    Make notes on what your screen says when you do .
    If it starts ok and does not freeze up ---think like algebra ---check yourself----shut down ---put the memstick that you took out ---back in .
    Make notes on you screen ---if it freezes ---quess what ----stop----sghutdown ---take same stick out ------problem solved .
    If it freezes on the first run ----swap sticks---same proceedure ---same outcome ----Ya might ask a friend to borrow a few DDR ram sticks ( doesn't matter if they are the same as what you have , just as long as they fit your machine ) for this process of ilimination thing.
    Long story short ---if it still freezes up with different ram ( humor me here ) ---unplug everything in your puter ( EVERYTHING) all cables ( make sure you know where they go back to ) Then , make sure Ram is installed ---leave the IDE cable OFF of your CDrom -----Put the IDE cable back on you hard drive insuring that it seats properly and then on your MB, Power cables next and any cpufans that need to be plugged in -----Now try to start the PC. What you have done here is eliminate everything BUT the hard drive , the powersupply , and the motherboard ---because nothing else is plugged in ( RIGHT )---the weezing sound could very well be your hard drive ---but unless you are willing to do this eliminating thing ---we can only guess :cool:

10. sammich

sammich Thread Starter

okay, well we can cancel out my memory. I only had 1 memory stick of ddr, and I replaced it with ddr2. same problem.

I also recently used partition magic, and reformated my secondary drive, and its still freezing. so we can say that its not the memory, or the secondary drive, leaving:

graphics card
    sound card (still froze without it though)
    motherboard
    processor
    C:

11. RowdeyRebel

RowdeyRebel

Partition magic-------Dude ---I have PM 8 and when it screws up ---if you did not make a rescue disk when you devided your HD ----and it IS the problem ----sorry -----ya gotta start from scratch or ya gotta find the software ---( can't recall the name because I'm not home and not with my puter , but it restructures your boot sector, because PM has become unstable . ) but I do not recomend this if you don't have your senses about you ---other than that ---I do not know how to identify this as the for sure problem ----but I have been through this before and it sounds like it ---if you can get through the boot sector software ---it will save you from starting over ---but if you cannot ---it will make a mess ----and you will start over any way -----sorry I cannot offer a better answer , but ----you need to consult a few more people , with this ----PM in the equasion ---before making a move ---it is possible ---but BE CAREFULL !!!! Do a search on the net for boot sector repair ---I'm almost positve this will help you if you are able to follow the SOP's of the program .

12. sammich

sammich Thread Starter

lol this is the 1st time I have ever used PM 8, all I did was delete the 1 -500gig partition i had created because I couldnt do it in disk management.

it was freezing before I did it, and its still freezing..

other than that I don't know what you are posting sorry :S

13. RowdeyRebel

RowdeyRebel

Its been so long on this correct me if I'm wrong, but XP Home is you OS! if so -------have you tried the Recovery Console CD??????? If you had the RC already installed , ---you can try to do a non destructive recovery rather than a complete restore. Its been a while since I had to do that so its not for me to give you a proceedure for installing it ( if not already ) or how to get to the non destructive recovery. Also -----just to see if nothing else ( hardware ) is actualy causeing the problem ---have you tried putting another HD in the puter with an OS already installed ----an letting it run for a while to see if you still have the same symptoms? If you still get the same thing , I would go back to looking at RAM, or the sockets on the MoBo, or maybe even the cpu. If there are jumpers on the MoBo----maybe someone tweeked it a bit before you got it and the different jumper settings have run the cpu hot for so long that ITS becomming unstable . Please forgive me if I have repeated any previous offered steps , but once again ---this has been going for a while and I mostly just kinda check in when notified , as I travel alot . post back with any results or revelations .

14. RowdeyRebel

RowdeyRebel

I think your replying to the wrong post ,unless you have changed your logon , because this is the origional post below :
    freezing computer.(memtest freezing aswell)
    so I got a computer that keeps freezing up on me. sometimes it runs for hours before hanging, and sometimes it hangs every 5-10 minutes.

I ran memtest and it seemed to freeze up during memtest. the little blinking icon was normal, but the test wasnt running and the commands didnt work.

does this mean that my memory sticks are bad?
    ional post -----

So as you see ------- I'm not sure if software will fix your problem or not , but I know that the post that started this has been so far a long process and by your logon ---your not the one who started it .

15. sammich

sammich Thread Starter

rebel:

thats what i think it is. Im going to take out my c: and plug into another computer and see if it freezes. i have a feeling its hardware related, because i remember i formatted and re installed windows thinking that was the problem. and this was mannyyyyy months ago.

i guess eventually i'll have to buy a new barebone kit..but only if thats the case.

ive had this box for years lmaolol.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/796754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice