1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing during some games, but not others

Discussion in 'Games' started by Unholy1, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Unholy1

Unholy1 Thread Starter

Okay so here's my problem. When I'm playing certain games on my PC, like Grand Theft Auto 3, or Halo which I just bought, my computer will freeze up on me, but when I'm playing some other games, like Hitman Codename 47, I won't have any problems.

I've tried updating my video card and sound card drivers, with no luck, and I've already spent 2 weeks corresponding through email with the people at Rockstar North trying to figure out what the problem is, cause I thought it was only GTA3.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? And if so, were you able to fix it and how?

2. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

what are u ure computers specs

3. Unholy1

Unholy1 Thread Starter

Pentium III 1GHz
    40Gb Hard Drive (brand I don't know)
    ATI Radeon 9000
    Windows 2000 Pro
    Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
    512M Ram

anything else?

4. McTimson

McTimson

What do you mean by 'freezes', does it like lag for a second, or does the entire computer stop responding?

5. Unholy1

Unholy1 Thread Starter

the entire computer stops responding

6. McTimson

McTimson

OK, well first, do everything in this thread.

Try opening your computer and cleaning out all the dust inside, and making sure all the fans are working. Then try running the games with the side of the case off.

7. Unholy1

Unholy1 Thread Starter

yeah did that, long before I thought to consult here. I dust my PC out once a month atleast, and yes all the fans are working. All the games are legal copies as well.

8. Unholy1

Unholy1 Thread Starter

okay, so I pulled off the side of my case, and cranked down the rez and details on Halo, it made a little difference, only delayed the eventual lock up.

9. Unholy1

Unholy1 Thread Starter

Okay so I think I know what the problem is. I have reason to believe that the problem is caused by my sound card. I booted up my computer today when I got home, and for some reason, I had no sound, go figure. Anyways I went into Halo, and OMG the damn game runs without any locking up, but mind you I don't have a clue what is being said. Anyways I rebooted my machine after that, and got the sound working, went into the game, and got the same results as before, locking up.

10. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

Is there a sound emitted when the freeze occurs?

If so, it might be a BIOS conflict with the sound card or a bad card.

11. Unholy1

Unholy1 Thread Starter

yes actually, a really high pitched toned is emitted whenever the freeze occurs

12. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

Okay. The same thing happened with my Dell when I put a SoundBlaster Audigy in.

Is your computer built by a popular manufacturer or did you build it yourself? If it's the former, I'd say try check around the company's website's tech support area for a BIOS fix. If it's the latter, look for BIOS updates on the motherboard manufacturer's site.

13. Unholy1

Unholy1 Thread Starter

Built by MDG (yuck! Never again) But most of the parts have been replaced or swapped out. Motherboard is now an ASUS motherboard, and I've tried to upgrade the bios, but the method that is listed on the site for my specific board, doesn't work when I try it.

14. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

Hmm. I don't know what to say about that.

15. mykl_c

mykl_c

ASUS MB - the problem with updating your bios may be that you have the bios update option disabled (it's in the setup)! I have an A7M266 MB and have had no probs with the ASUS upgrades.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice