1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing, general unresponsiveness needing hard resets to "solve"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dariun, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dariun

Dariun Thread Starter

Hi all

System: ASUS Laptop N53SV i7-2630qm, Nvidia GT 540M, 8GB RAM, Win Home Premium (originally an OA key...)

Problems: dvd drive reads all discs as blank (not a massive issue), Nvidia card is not recognised at all (not even in device manager, or the windows rating tabs for system specs so I can not install drivers or nvidia control panel...again not a massive issue...) the big problem is my laptop freezes and becomes unresponsive forcing me to press and hold the power button to shutdown quite regularly at times, however I can sometimes get a few to several hours use no issues.

I have formatted several times lately but I still have the problem >_<""

Downloaded and installed drivers from ASUS as I can't use discs. Windows Updates updated.

It doesn't happen when I'm doing anything in particular, it seems quite random.

Firefox will become unresponsive but I can not close it or any tabs by clicking on the red cross.

Programs like Steam, Origin, VLC will appear to work but clicking any links or games results in no response and again can not be closed by navigating menus or red cross.

Any audio either by itunes or streaming will continue playing. Video will freeze but it's audio plays on.

I can NOT ctrl+alt+del as it gives me a black screen with an error msg saying to press esc to close things if they don't respond or power down by pressing and holding the power button.

That is my only method of "solving" this problem. powering down by hard reset and then booting up again.

I've done Avast, Adaware, Spybot, MalwareBytes scans both before i reformatted and after and no hits for viruses or anything.

Also used Win 7's RAM diagnostic and that came back with no errors.

Please help as I've no idea what's wrong and it's driving me insane :( not to mention the fact that I can't afford to replace it at the moment :(

Thank you for your time and any help you guys can give!!

2. Dariun

Dariun Thread Starter

no one? :( :(

still having major issues with stability....would be great if anyone can help! thank you!

3. Ahs62

Ahs62

I am having the same problem. I have checked temps, updated drivers, sorted registry, completed a memory check and I replaced the hard drive today as it was suspect but like you I am still having major problems. not sure there is anyone out there who really knows.

4. Dariun

Dariun Thread Starter

*sigh*

someone has to know, doubt we have "discovered" a new form of computer failure :(

it's not a massively bad thing, it can be extremely frustrating but what worries me the most is that the sometimes constant hard resets can't be good for my laptop :-S

5. Dariun

Dariun Thread Starter

dare I jinx it, but I think I know what the problem was....

I have uninstalled Adaware and for the time being everything seems fine *fingers crossed*

Ahs62, not sure if you had Adaware on your computer as well? It was the newer version which kept prompting me to update and upgrade to Pro. I had spybot installed as well which may have caused issues. But as I said, so far so good....

6. Dariun

Dariun Thread Starter

it has frozen again last night :(

but it was more Firefox being unresponsive as I could still restart my laptop the normal way without having to hard reset...and flash player keeps crashing so I guess it could be firefox and/or flash player now, but at least the freezing that needed hard resets has stopped...

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have a hardware problem. Reinstalling Windows pretty much eliminates all software problems. You wouldn't see anything on the screen if Windows didn't detect any graphics adapter. It's probably listed under unknown devices. If it's under warranty, get it fixed. If not, find a local shop and get an estimate. It may cost more to fix than it's worth.

8. Dariun

Dariun Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

Is there any way to narrow down which piece of hardware is causing the issue??

Well the system pics up the i7-2630qm's inbuilt intel GPU however it can not recognise the nvidia GT540M, it's not even in the hardware device section...as an unknown device or otherwise.

No longer under warranty :(

I would take it to get repaired but as I can't seem to find out the cause of the problems I'm reluctant to as it would give the tech guy a very broad scope to say "X is wrong and it will cost £XXXXX as you have to completely replace blah blah..."

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What do you mean by "inbuild intel GPU" versus "the nvidia GT540M"? You're saying you ordered this customized with two different graphics adapters?

Here are the specs as detailed on Asus's website.
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N53SV/#specifications

Laptops don't have universally interchangeable parts aside from the hard drive and RAM. Some high-end models have a removable GPU that can be swapped with a very limited set of models.

Run Memtest.
    http://www.memtest.org/

Then run the diagnostic program for whatever make/model hard drive you have.

If neither is the problem, the next step is a motherboard swap which will cost almost as much as a new laptop.

10. Dariun

Dariun Thread Starter

Erm i meant the generic GPU built into the motherboard sorry. The dedicated GPU, the Nvidia one, isn't recognised on the hardware tabs and isn't in the device manager, not even as an unrecognised item.

I can't run memtest because my dvd drive is kinda faulty. It doesn't read data discs I've burnt as having data on them, just reads ALL discs as blank even movie dvds and bundled software dvds (driver discs, nero suite etc)

I've used the ram diagnostic test in Win7 and that came up with no errors.

I guess I could buy an extra laptop HD and swap it to see if there's still issues....having said that since i uninstalled adaware i haven't had the freeze up apart from the once last night in about 3 days now... weird...

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your GPU isn't detected even after multiple reinstalls of Windows. The DVD drive doesn't work. It randomly locks up.

You're right. A repair shop will charge a lot of money to replace the optical drive and the motherboard.

12. Dariun

Dariun Thread Starter

*sigh* guess I'll start shopping about for a desktop!

thanks for your help!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice