1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing Nightmare

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jsmason00, Nov 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

It seems eversince I got cable internet my computer freezes all the time. If I am playing a game or workinh with a program it dopes not freeze, only when I am online. If I am browsing it usually wont freeze, but if I start a download and leave it, 9 times out of 10 after about 5 or 10 minutes the screen goes black. If I hit the ESC key I can see my sreen again but it is usaually froze up. Any ideas?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

jsmason00
    With cable a 5 minute or 10 minute download......that must be a huge file. Anyway have you done a cleanup of your system lately
    Temp files so on. Check your C:\windows\temp file and make sure there isn't a load of old stuff in there. Also another thought would be your screensaver kicking in and somehow interferring. Another thought is how many programs are running in background during your download, are you running out of resources and locking up.
    Dave

3. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

I clean my cookies, history, and temp files daily, I have scan disk, defragmented, and canceled all running programs, my sys resources are usually 90 to 94% and still, brrrrrr! I am freezin'

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

jsmason00
    That is good the routine stuff is done. I mentioned before a 5 or 10 minute download would be rather large. What size is the download and does the unit download small programs without problems?
    Dave

5. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

The downloads are avg. 350MB. I answer to your question, even if I am downloading smaller things it will freeze up. The very odd thing is lack of consistency. I am having trouble pinpointing what types of downloads, if thats even the problem, are causing this,

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

jsmason00
    That is what I am thinking is it a really download problem.
    350MB would take awhile. Do you have any power management functions running? Standby, hibernate so on?
    Dave

7. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

No there is no power managment options running,mI turned them off in display properties. Its funny that you think 350 MB is such a large download. I have downloaded over 20 GB in the last week in movies and games. I have a T1 connection, and it screams baby! Is there other power options that I might not know about?

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

jsmason00
    Most people do not have the luxury of a T1 and 350MB download would be rather long to most since it is almost the size of an operating system.
    You said you turn off power management in display properties?
    If you go to control panel power management what do you have showing?
    Is it set to never on all lines and set to always on on top?
    Dave

9. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

everything is @ never.

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

jsmason00
    If everything is never and always on the only thing I can think of is what I said in the beginning resources. You said 350MB. Have you successfully downloaded files that size before without freezes? Remember you start out with 90 some percent but are running allot of info through with that size of file. If you run out of RAM or vcache (if windows is not controlling it) or the alloction table gets used up your done.
    Dave

11. jsmason00

jsmason00 Thread Starter

Yes I have downloaded movies that were 750 MB with no problem. It takes about 2 hours on avg. Again, this problem is not consistent. For example, since you and I have been talking I downloaded the movie "The Others" it is 350 MB I haven't been booted, yet. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that when I am browsing the net it dosen't happen, only when I just leave it to download.

12. Davey7549

Davey7549

jsmason00
    Thats the part that has me baffled because a T1 is dedicated and should not time out nor should your system if the power ops are set to never. However it is dropping if you leave it without activity.
    At this point I am at a loss. If you wish I can E-mail someone who may have another avenue to explore.
    Dave

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice