1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

freezing problem..?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by donut, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donut

donut Thread Starter

hi, i just formatted my computer and then reinstalled win98. But now my computer freezes every like 5mins, it did not do this before i formatted! i did not do the formatting wrong or any of that... so what could it be?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Have you checked "Device Manager" for any problem devices? Click on Start>Settings>CP>System>DeviceManager and see if you see any yellow exclamation marks listed.

It could also be a driver that needs updating. Check the websites of the maker of your sound and video cards for the most recent drivers and install them.

Other than that, try disabling all of the startup programs and run for a while and see if that stops the freezing.

Start>Run, key in msconfig and press enter. Select "Selective Startup" and then uncheck "Load Startup Group Items". Click on Apply and follow the prompts to restart. You don't want to leave them permanently disabled, your just trying to see if it stops the freezing. If it does, then you need to figure out which one is causing it.

Let us know what happens

3. donut

donut Thread Starter

thx alot bryan, i will try to update all drivers! actually it is not my computer its my neighbours so, i dont have to worry that much about it!!! hehehe:D ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice