1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing Screen. Failed Boots.. Uncompletable memtest

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhkenji, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhkenji

rhkenji Thread Starter

A few week ago I started having issues with my GPU freezing while in game, sometimes not freezing but the screen would turn black. The ATI Utitlity can sometimes recover from the error but most of the time I have to reset my computer. Unplugging my computer / turning my PSU off and on can extend my use of computer without freezing.

I had a feeling that it might be the video card but I tried testing my ram modules anyways jsut to be sure. I cant complete a single memtest (freezing) if I occupy more than 1 slot. I can finish a test if I use one module on one slot. Anything more, the test would freeze.

A few hours ago, I tried test my memory slots to test out which of the four is the fault one. But the same thing happens, I cant finish a test with more than one slot occupied. I dont know if this is related to my GPU problem.. but its one of my problems now.

After doing all these test... I cant properly boot now.. I cant get to the POST screen but i could the screen would freeze just before the OS loads. I tried resetting my CMOS but it doesnt work either.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Im adding to note that my northbridge chipset fan is faulty.. but it does turn and provide airflow.. It slows down then accelerates but doesnt completely stop

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice