1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing Titles of Data Base in WORKS 4.5

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by shortcut, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shortcut

shortcut Thread Starter

I want to sort my data base without changing the column headings, like name, address, phone, etc. I want to put this info in record one, name in column 1, address in column 2 and so on. I know that this is possible with the FREEZE TITLES under FORMAT. I highlight the record under row one, go to FORMAT and FREEZE TITLES is not there. I have seen it there in the past and have used it.

What am I doing wrong?

shortcut

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

There's a (very) thin grey strip that sits on the top of the vertical scroll bar ; on top of the arrow button. In Excel, this is the "split box".

Click on it & drag down however many rows you want to freeze.

The horizontal scroll bar has its own version, to freeze columns.

Rgds,
    Andy

3. XL Guru

XL Guru

NB - only just noticed the "I want to sort" bit. To do this, you need to select all rows bar record one (the titles row), before you attempt the sort (the sort dialog won't ask you if you have a header row or not, as a spreadsheet would).

Rgds,
    Andy

4. shortcut

shortcut Thread Starter

Thanks for come back. I found the "sliver" at the top of the scrollbar and I can move the heavy line anywhere I want and it does look like the SPLIT window in EXCEL. But when I sort. the column titles mix in with the records just like before.

The HELP in WORKS 4.5 DATABASE sez to highlight the record just below the column headers and then go to FORMAT and click on thr FREEZE. I follow the instructions and still no FREEZE UNDER FORMAT.

I have seen it there before and used it just fine but cannot find it now.

Ideas?

shortcut

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

shortcut, apologies. Although I'm sure I got this working yesterday, I can't today. :(

Also, I found several Q&As referring to Format -- Freeze, yet I too have no Freeze option on my Format menu (version 5). :mad: / :confused:

There's only one idea I can come up with, for Sort Ascending only. Say your label in Field1 of row 1 is "Name". Edit it to " Name", i.e. with a space in front. This should force row 1 to stay on top when you sort by Field1 (space has a lower sort order than A or 0).

HTH,
    Andy

6. shortcut

shortcut Thread Starter

Thanks for the "work around" idea. I'll give it whirl.

shortcut

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice