1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing when boot into Windows only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Squashman, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Just wanted to get some opinions from the Malware experts on what they have used when a system is to the point of not even being able to run most removal tools inside Windows. The system in question just keeps shutting down even in safe mode. I have ruled out hardware failure as I have run several hardware diagnostics (Memtest, Spinrite, etc) and all of those check out. I also was able to run a USB Linux distro just fine on the system.

So I am looking at a few of these bootable tools and would like to know what experience the Virus & Malware experts have had with the tools listed in this link.
    http://www.squidoo.com/the-best-free-antivirus-rescue-cds

Thanks

2. Squashman

I gave Dr. Web a try last night and it found a few trivial things but nothing nasty by any means.
    Ran a full backup on the PC last night and my wife used the computer the whole morning without any issues. I turned it on this afternoon and sure enough it started locking up again. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Never been a computer I have not been able to fix. Since a linux distro runs fine on the system and there are no memory errors or HD issues according to Memtest86 and Spinrite I have to assume this is some how a corrupt file in Windows or a Virus that it is just not finding. Machine will locks up in safe mode again as well.

Just not sure if this is a Virus issue, Hardware Issue or Windows Issue.

Thinking about getting a second HD and doing a fresh install of Windows.

3. Squashman

I guess it is a hardware issue which makes no damn sense to me at all.
    I did a clean install of Windows 7 with the HD from my other laptop just to rule out hd failure or a virus and after the install I logged in and the computer froze up again within a few minutes of being logged in. Makes no sense why it worked all morning. I am truly baffled by this one. I have run every hardware diagnostic I can think of and I have no clue why it locks up when I boot into Windows. If I can run a Linux distro from USB and access the hd without the computer freezing up it doesn't make much sense that Windows would freeze up when booting from the hd.

I guess my last resort is to actually install a Linux distro to the HD and see if the computer freezes up. Going to assume it will.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Doesn't sound exact;y "solved". My two cents on bootable AV: I've tried them all. For use on multiple, different types of machines, I found Bit Defender the best as far as compatibility with all the various graphics systems. Some others booted in distrted form or not at all on less common graphics. Obviously, I wanted one that worked everywhere.

Though not updated very often, it downloads recent signatures and is very good at finding even odd internet connections. It gives you a choice of what to delete and a log is savable to the hard drive if you later need to know exactly what was changed.

The biggest problem with any bootable AV is that they work too well, in a manner of speaking. People often just delete all that is found and then can't boot up Windows. So some sorting is necessary. The list of things to be removed has to be looked at carefully. For example, even if winlogon.exe is infected, if the machine booted, you don't want to haphazardly delete it and then not be able to boot at all. It would need to be replaced, at least.

Intermittent problems like yours are often hard to figure out, if they can be at all. Please let us know what you find, if anything. My first inclination would be "heat", but you may well have already checked that out. Bad solder points on a board can appear suddenly and start causing problems after years of none. Temperature can be a factor in when they lead to problems, and most are not going to be found.

Good luck.

5. Squashman

It looks like it might be a memory issue after all. All my initial memory tests passed but I only ran them with one pass and I was also running an older version of Memtest86. I loaded up version 4 and the 1st pass found no errors. On the second pass it got to test 3 and the errors were flooding in like a Pacific Tsunami! Now it shouldn't be to hard to figure out which module it is. Just pull one and see if the computer freezes or not. Although according to the Memtest86 website it could in theory be the memory on the cpu or the cpu itself could be bad. That is still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new computer.

I guess Linux must play nicer with Bad memory then Windows does. Still want to test that theory by installing a Linux Distro directly to the HD.

I could just scrap the two 2GB modules in there and just buy two 4gb modules to max out the ram to 8GB! Not that it needs that much. We aren't gamers by any means.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!