1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing when opening jpegs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by p51, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p51

p51 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

In Windows 2k, the computer freezes when trying to open jpegs. After several minutes, the files will open. I am not sure what causes this. It is very frustrating. I have run adaware, and it turned up nothing. It has 256meg of RAM.

The pictures are very deep in a directory, if that is of any help.

Thanks for the help.

2. darkan9el

darkan9el

Hi,

Windows doesn't like it if it goes more than 7-8 deep, even then it can grumble. try moving the jpgs to a shallower dir to see if that is causing the problem.

What is the file jpg associated with? i.e. do you have a picture editing program like micrografix/Adobe photo deluxe or a picture browser like Thumbs plus installed.

Try changing the association of the file type to see if that will solve the problem.

Do you have any virus scanning software running?
    Have you accidently told it to scan jpgs for virii?

hope this helps Lee :D

3. p51

p51 Thread Starter

I thought about that, over the weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have access to that computer right now, but I will check that out, when I do get to it.

Thanks a lot!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!