1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

freezing while scan disk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sweetcheekies, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

Okay i am back already :) Here is what the problem is now.. I really need to defrag.. but i get a message telling me that there are errors on the disk so I am unable to continue.. Now I have tried numerous times to run Scan disk. and it always freezes up my whole computer.. I am running Win98 SE IE6 .. any ideas what is going on? Ctrl + Alt +Del shows only Explorer and Systray ... HELP me please yet again :)

Sweet

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Try performing the Scandisk from Safe Mode. Reboot the computer and Hold the CTRL Button to bring up the boot menu. Choose Safe Mode from the menu.

3. sweetcheekies

Okay thanks mosaic.. will do .. thank you.. you are always a great help to me :) its greatly appreciated.. I will post back later with results.. it may take a while there are 1,174,848 files to scan lol Ever since i got Zoo tycoon there are a ton of files lol

sweet

4. sweetcheekies

it still didnt work.. It gets to checking file allocations or something like that.. then restarts the scan again.. any thing else i can do?

sweet

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hey... are you doing a standard or thorough scan? try standard for now.........still in safe mode though

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Your computer freezes when you try to run a thorough Scandisk? Are you possibly running Mcafee Anti Virus? If so, go to msconfig and uncheck all Mcafee shortcuts. Reboot. (Don't forget to reset your Screensaver to none) Close everything other than windows explorer and systray.
    Try running Scandisk thorough again.

7. sweetcheekies

Okay i got it done in safe mode. ..I had to do a standard scan disk then degfrag then I did a full scan disk.. took all night and all day today up to now.. so it was in need.. and also i know in safe mode it dont run as fast .

thanks again for all the help

sweet

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Scandisk does the standrard forst and then if you have thorough checked, it performs that.
    If it took that long there were major problems.

Find scandisk.log and have a look. Open it in Notepad.
    Also, have a look at your hard drive for >chk files. If you didn't choose to free lost file fragments, it generated these. It turns them into files. They are generally useless and take up space. Delete them.

9. sweetcheekies

I had about 13 chk files.. i deleted them and cant find a scandisk.log

sweet

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

The next time you run scandisk, click the advanced button and be sure to create a log. I would also recommend that you do a thorough disk cleanup on a regular basis and run a quick scandisk afterwards. Run defrag about once a month.

11. sweetcheekies

Ty I dont think i have make a log checked.. I usually do run defrag once a week as I live on this puter and am always on various places on the net and play alot of net games which seems to do a number on things :) I run always my thorough scan disk but just havent been able to get it to work this past while.. I thought maybe it was cause of all the problems i was having earlier.

thanks again.

sweet

12. sweetcheekies

oh and it did not show me any errros and it is check to show detail summary only if errors are found .

sweet

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice