1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing with games

Discussion in 'Games' started by CheGuevara, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CheGuevara

CheGuevara Thread Starter

Not really sure how long it's been effecting me, but im using Windows XP professional, and whenever i play Games ( i think i've narrowed it down to games using 3-D but not positive on this ), no matter how low the system requirements ( AKA, Tribes 2, Rise of Nations ) the computer freezes either constantly, or once an hour, or if im lucky once every 4-5 hours, but no matter what, theres a very high chance that the next time my computers off isnt because i shut it down using the start menu, but i had to turn off the power.

System Specs are as follows ( coming from DxDiag )

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
    System Manufacturer: VIA
    System Model: 7VTXE+
    BIOS: Version 1.00
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 119MB used, 1131MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

2. McTimson

McTimson

Make sure it's not overheating - take off the side of the case, and have a fan blowing towards the inside. Clean out the dust inside, and make sure the fans on the CPU and graphics card are working.

Also, what is your power supply rated at? It might be overheating as well.

3. CheGuevara

CheGuevara Thread Starter

Its a 350W Power supply ( 330 for the computer, 20 for the blue lights ) and i took the side of the case off, There are 4 Fans, 1 on the side, 2 in the back and 1 on the CPU, which IS working, but then i felt the heatsink and it burned me :|, but thats probably how its supposed to be. and have a fan blowing towards the inside, do you mean computer fan or an actual fan? :D

4. McTimson

McTimson

Well since they're all working, heat probably isn't an issue, but just to make sure, clean out all the dust in the case. Which heatsink burned you, the video or the CPU?

It still seems like something with the power supply though. Do you have a surge protector?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/151845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice