1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freezing XP Pro boot screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crashed4u, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crashed4u

crashed4u Thread Starter

Heys guys and gals! Hope you can help me with this prob I have. I have a friends PC that I am trying to repair. I have very limited history on it other than it was a custom build, and it has been in a closet for 3years....and now I see why. ANyways....I try to boot it up, i get the CMOS Checksum error - defaults loaded..so I hit the F1 to continue..XP Pro tries to load with sliding green bar.....it makes first swipe then stops halway..all froze up...have to do hard boot.And that is it makes it that far. SOmetimes, after about 40 secs from powering the tower on, the monitor shuts off, but tower is still active. Hard boot again. To help stop the monitor prob, I threw in a old ATI vid card I had.....prob somewhat cured...though temporarily. I have tried to boot a live cd, but the damn thing wont stay on long enough. Heres the spec for tower. 2.3 Ghz proc, 256 RAM(PC-3200), 40gig IDE HD, Foxxconn MB,XP Pro (Fresh Install) No external devices other than PS/2 KB and mouse, Internals are DVD writer, CD-rom, 7 count card reader. Hope this helps anybody willing to help!:confused: Please help!!:eek:

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

try first a new motherboard battery as the machine is in a closet for 3 years and how long ago was it manufactured...

then enter the bios and reset default settings scan for the hdd check & correct the date time settings if needed.

try boot into safe mode check all device manager settings.

3. crashed4u

crashed4u Thread Starter

I swapped out the battery...same prob. I did notice that it do's not do the initial boot beep now......the tower just turns on...but monitor is not active...its just sits there in sleep mode. After a few hard boots, it will finally kick on...maybe. I checked all cables for connection, and for damage. All in good shape. I just dont understand how I can install XP Pro on it.....and it restarts...probs allover again. I know its hardware based......but dang it. I did get more history on Tower though.His kids were on it....with broadband....and limewire...and no Firewall...and no anti-vi....lol

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

the ram 256 is not enough for xp to perform 512 you should have installed.The hdd may be infested with virus and other nasties as no firewall or v/scanner installed.You can lift out the memory chip and reseat it in the slot.
    did you try safe mode? to get the machine to start...

5. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

pull all internal cards run with memory only and video card.

6. crashed4u

crashed4u Thread Starter

I tried another stick of RAM, but it is PC-2100....and MB didnt like it...so put original stick back in. I figured a format and clean install would wipe out everything bad. I tried safe mode, I tried enabling VGA mode also...optimized BIOS setting...fail/safe bios settings...I even put in a diff HD...although smaller by 20 gigs...monitor will not respond. I did find what I think is a date code...06-04. It is by the Patent pending and what not on the back of MB

7. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

8. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

if the mother board has on board video it may be necessary to disable it in the bios if you have a video card installed.some boards, cut out the on board graphics if a card is installed agp type i guess you installed.you may need drivers for the video card install those in safe mode if you can get the machine to boot if no go, then its clean off and start a fresh..on a blank hdd.make C drive 20gig and the balance extended partition make this partition after you have windows operating..on C drive..

9. crashed4u

crashed4u Thread Starter

I put in a ATI AGP vid card, but that was after I did a fresh install...but did not install no drivers for it...but will get video from it more often than onboard. I am starting to lean towards plan d for this box.....strip out what lil is good in it.....and start fresh with all new.....and sledge fix the rest. Thanx for the help though buddy! If I find out what the deal is, I will post it!!
    Mitch

10. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

if the mother board has on board video it may be necessary to disable it in the bios if you have a video card installed.some boards, cut out the on board graphics if a card is installed agp type i guess you installed.you may need drivers for the video card install those in safe mode if you can get the machine to boot if no go, then its clean off and start a fresh..on a blank hdd.make C drive 20gig and the balance extended partition make this partition after you have windows operating..on C drive..

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice