1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

freezing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sweetcheekies, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

Okay here we go again.. I am running Win98 second edition with IE6. Lately my computer keeps freezing for no reason.. its not a specific thing i am doing.. it will just freeze up.. now i have run defrag, scan disk, norton utilities, emtied temp files, deleted history etc.. I am running on a 500mb DSL connection. any one have any ideas what I can do now?

Thanks Sweet :confused:

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Any new additions and have you checked resources and msconfig?

3. sweetcheekies

hmm nope no new things.. resources are at mem says 128 mb 76% utilized.. i think that is the resources thing ...lol and msconfig how do i do that?

sweet

4. sweetcheekies

sorry it was72% free

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Resources- Right click my computer>properties>performance tab>system resources. It will go down as you work and fix itself when you do a restart. If the freezing happens after a certain amount of time keep an eye on resources and see if they drop.

Msconfig will help to account for some of the resources. It is everything you have loading at start-up. It may or may not account for the freeze. Two ways to view it, only one way to copy and paste what you have. To view-start>run>type msconfig>start tab. To copy and paste-start>run>type msinfo32>expand software environment>click start up>edit>select all>edit>copy.

Do you notice this happening at certain web sites or when you open certain programs?

6. sweetcheekies

ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    gnetmous Registry (Machine Run)
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    New.net Startup Registry (Machine Run) rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOT~1.DLL,NewDotNetStartup
    webHancer Agent Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whAgent.exe"
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe

that is everything i have on my start up .. now as for my resources i have only 65% as soon as i started up so its down from yesterday even.

Donna

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

8. sweetcheekies

what is spyware?

Sweet

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

10. sweetcheekies

Thank you very much I appreciate your help.. how the heck did that get on my puter???

sweet

11. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

It explains it in the first link when you click here in the NEW.net box. Happens to everyone once in a while.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice