1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

freezing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sweetcheekies, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sweetcheekies

sweetcheekies Thread Starter

Okay you all have heard this one tons of times i am sure.. I have even posted about it.
    I am still freezing. I have done the msconfig thing.. only needed things are in there.. I have cleared cache. I have IE6 and windows 98 second edition. Uhmm what else have I tried.. well just about everything.. I cant run scan disk every time I try to it freezes.. and not at the same spot .. it will sometimes get right near the end of it then freeze.. sometimes right near the front.. I have done the Norton thing. I have done the disk defrag thing.

any help would be appreciated.. this is getting frustrated.. oh and i have deleted a bunch of files .. and have deleted any new programs etc that I have added since this freezing started to no avail. HELP!!!!!!!!!

sweet

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried to run scandisk in safe mode? Also what about updating drivers for video card, sound card, modem, etc older drivers may not be compatible if you have added hardware or software. If you are running an AMD chip you may have a heat issue. To tell if overheating is a problem, remove the side cover from the computer and use a small desk fan to blow air inside. If the freezing stops you have found the problem. Have you added anything like more RAM or new hardware?
    Just some things to try, lock-ups can take a while to sort out.

3. sweetcheekies

nope havent tried to run scan disk in safe mode... duh on my part lol will try and let u know how that works.

also this is a newer puter.. about a year old nothing added.. and puter has been working great after the initial bugs were worked out.

sweet

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If nothing has been added or new software installed, I would take off the side cover and make sure all of the fans are working. I am leaving for four days so I will be out of touch. Post back and someone will help you.

5. sweetcheekies

okay here is the prob with running scan disk in safe mode.. to preform the standard test not a prob.. did so and didnt find anything.. but when trying to run scan disk in safe mode and try to do a thorough test... it keeps restarting when it gets to the point of scanning files.. such and such of 1,174,whatever.. and it will go so far then restart... next time it may go further or not as far then restart.. now what? anyone?

sweet
    :confused:

6. ETS

ETS

Try running scandisk from MSDOS MODE.

7. sweetcheekies

and how do i run scan disk from dos mode?

8. ETS

ETS

There are several ways to do this.
    The best in your situation is to boot with a Win98 startup disk and run scandisk from there. (once you reach the A prompt, type in SCANDISK and then press ENTER). The advantage here is that it will pretty much rule out any software interference.
    If you don't have a boot disk, then press and hold down the CTRL key while the system is starting up. That will take you to the startup menu. From there, select COMMAND PROMPT ONLY.
    Again, when you reach the C prompt type in SCANDISK and press enter.
    Finally, you can do it from within windows by clicking on START-SHUTDOWN-RESTART IN MSDOS MODE. Then proceed as above.
    If thourough scandisk still won't complete then suspect a hardware problem, such as overheating, as crjdriver suggested.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice