1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

freezing?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by oakiebug, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oakiebug

oakiebug Thread Starter

When the computer is turned on and left to sit for an hour or three, I cannot log on to the internet. Nor can I restart or even shut down using the start menu. A guy at my server said it was just my computer slowing down but it is only a year old. Anybody?

2. $teve

$teve

the guy is talking out of his rear....you might want to do a scan for viri here.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

what happens in the 2 or 3 hours previous to the problem,can you get on-line? is your connection ok?
    post your system specs,it will give us more to go at.

3. oakiebug

oakiebug Thread Starter

When I turn the computer on I can use it. I can get on the net and everything. My connection is fine. It is when I let it sit that the problem occurs. I will contact housecalls tho. Thanks

4. oakiebug

oakiebug Thread Starter

I forgot my specs. Compaq Presario with Windows ME. 64MB of RAM x86-based PC AMD Duron processor 700mhz

5. ETS

ETS

If you can, open the case and check to make sure all fans are running properly. Then set up a desktop fan or something to blow directly on the computers cpu (with case still open).
    Let is run that way for a few hours to see if the problem goes away or it runs longer before freezing.
    The problem you describe could be caused by overheating.

6. oakiebug

oakiebug Thread Starter

:rolleyes: Well guys, the freeze problems seems to have resolved itself. I checked for viruses and the fans all seem to be working and the machine is working just fine. Thank you for the suggestions. Until next time, America. Thanks again, Linda

7. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello,oakiebug

now i had this problem & i was going nut's

now this is what worked for me i removed

my Screen Saver & then put it back no more

problem why did this work i have know idea

Good Luck

8. oakiebug

oakiebug Thread Starter

Thanks AAPlus, Maybe when I deleted that Christmas screen saver did it for me. I will try to remember all this good advice for future reference. Thank you everybody!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice