1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

freezing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lesleys06, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lesleys06

lesleys06 Thread Starter

So I bought a new laptop a little over a month ago and everything was going fine. This past weekend, so 4 or 5 days ago, my computer froze. So I had to hold the button down to turn it off. Afer it turned it back on I restarted it the proper way. But it keeps freezing. What do I do?

Also I finally got a cd so i could back up my files. I got to make the back up and it my computer freezes about 75% or 80% of the way through. What do I do?

And yet another problem when i try to run windows defender it gets about 20% through the scan and freezes. What do I do?

The computer also came with a 60 trial of Nortan, which isn't my favortie but its free so i'm using it. My computer wont do live updates and the spyware wont run.

All in all my computer is ****ed up and I just bought it. How should I got about resloving this?

2. Orumph

Orumph

Well,, it could be a bad hard drive or bad memory.

but, I would call the manufacturer and have it sent in for warranty work.
    They should walk you through a number of troubleshooting steps before sending it in for repair.

3. lesleys06

lesleys06 Thread Starter

I really wouldn't think it would be a bad hard drive or memory. I just got it and it worked fine for a month. But you may be right.
    I will try to give them a call.
    Also the time it generally freezes it when I try to run a scan. Does that mean there is something wrong with the way the anti virus or spyware was installed?
    Thanks again

4. Orumph

Orumph

Could be, but very rare.

More likely I would point my finger at a bad hard drive first, then possibly memory, or even a bad motherboard. But I'd start with the hard drive.

5. lesleys06

lesleys06 Thread Starter

Ok how do I go about fixing this problem? Sometimes my computer works fine. But as I said if i try to run any scan it freezes. What do I do?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!