1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent Battle Field 1942 freeze-ups

Discussion in 'Games' started by Akito, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

See my system specs in my sig. As you can see, I should have no problem running BF1942.

However, about every 1/2 minute, the game freezes or has a massive slow-down for about 2 seconds. It seems worse when I'm flying in an aircraft. I've turned all of the options down to the bare minimum and I still have the problem. I have the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers, the latest drivers from Nvidia, and the latest sound drivers for my AC97' audio. I think this might be heat related, but I honestly don't know. I'm not having any problems in other games.

2. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

After looking a bit further into the problem, it appears as if it might actually be audio related - I didn't seem to notice the problem _as much_ when the sounds were turned off...

Edit: it doesn't appear to be the sound card. I installed a new sound card (phillips seismic edge) and still had the same slowdown, abit with a lot more channels, higher quality audio, and hardware acceleration..

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well although I dislike Creative, their cards seem to be best when it comes to low CPU utilization (with onboard sound being the worst) while gaming.

Are you turning off any Anti-virus scanning while playing?

If you think it maybe heat related, pull the case and have a desk fan blowing into your rig as test.

4. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Well, I dislike creative as well, because their drivers suck and I have had problems with their card. Granted, the audigy2 I had was great for gaming.. minus the fact that every 5 minutes it would stop responding for a second or two. That new card I put in also stopped working correctly (brilliant) and now it crackles.

Anti-virus is disabled, but it doesn't make any real difference.

The reason I thought it might be heat related was that I was having problems before in Metal of Honor: Allied Assault but I fixed those by blowing out the fan on the video card (it was really dirty - the fun of living in the Mountians.) I honestly don't think it's heat related, but I'm unsure. I'll try a desktop fan - and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

5. suesman

suesman

Ok try this.

There is a line in default.con that says this; ( found in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings )

Sound.soundBufferCacheSize 200

Try adjusting the buffer upward to 600 or so (max is 2000) That may help if the sound is the issue.

I had that same thing before & this helped alot.

P.S. Use Notepad to open the file, but Uncheck "Always use this program to open this type of file" You won't be a happy camper if ya leave it checked.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I've got my .con files to automatically open with Notepad, no problems.

7. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

I don't use notepad to edit text files anyways - I use macromedia homesite :) I'll try that out..

8. suesman

suesman

That's cool man. I just feel the need to state that because so many people don't actually know about it. I don't want to be the cause of another headache. ;D

9. McTimson

McTimson

You can always change it back if you had to....it's somewhere in the folder options.

You use Homesite to edit text files? Doesn't that get annoying? I mean, when I want to edit a text file, I want it to open right away, not wait for a program to run first....

10. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Yeah, it does get annoying, but it's features are awesome and I don't edit text files often....

11. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

That fix appears to have fixed the sound problem, it doesn't crackle anymore, thanks!

I did some more testing:
    - Create a local server, no bots, no one playing but me - virtually no freeze-ups

- Create an instant battle with 10% computer AI and the lowest amount of bots possible - virtually no freeze-ups

- Create an instant battle with 10% computer AI and the highest (400%) amount of bots - GIGANTIC freeze-ups.

I feel this might be a RAM issue, I know you can't play planetside with fluid motion at anything less than a gig of ram, so maybe I should get a second stick of 512 and up mine to a gig. I think a 2ghz processor (athlon xp 2400+) should be plently to handle the rest. Any thoughts?

12. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I'm running real similar to you. Athlon 2400 clocked at 2.2 (FSB at 146), TI4200 clocked at 305/580, 512 ddr, and an Audigy. Runs real good on 32 player servers. The only time it gets choppy is on-line with more than about 50 players. Never get what I would call 'freeze ups' though. Never play off-line.

13. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Well, if I could play online, I would, but I have a dial-up connection. So, unless I have a bunch of friends over for a lan party or get high speed (it's not possible to get any form of high speed that supports real-time speed where I live) I'm out of luck - so I have to play against bots. I know they eat a ton of CPU power, but again, I don't have a choice..

14. suesman

suesman

My comp is also very similar to yours. I'm gonna do some testing today to see what kinda stuff happens when I play with the AI. :D I actually never play offline so I really don't have a clue. I'll get back with you.

Another 512megs of ram could never hurt a thing. :D

EDIT: You don't mention what OS you are using.

15. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

That's too bad as BF's single player mode is rather underdeveloped. But if you are getting true hook-ups of over 45kps (as measured HERE ) it is possible to play on-line.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!