1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent BSODs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pacia, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacia

Pacia Thread Starter

For some reason my computer has been highly unstable over the course of the last week or so. It was custom-built just 6 or so months ago, putting it past the "built poorly" phase and before the "wearing out" phase so I have no clue what's going on. When this first started, and I couldn't pin down a cause, I just bit the bullet and did a clean install of Windows 7 rather than run around checking the many causes of BSODs. It has never gotten a BSOD in safe mode or safe mode with networking, so I had assumed it was quite possibly an especially malicious virus, which I felt was confirmed when my laptop had a BSOD while I was backing up files; however, the laptop has had no further BSODs.

Despite this, following the clean install my computer is still getting BSODs at random intervals, and I have not even transferred any files back to my main computer from my laptop yet. For example, I left my computer on for a couple days and nights so it could reinstall Steam games while I slept, and I was using it during the day, yet it didn't BSOD until I got home from school today. I wasn't doing anything in particular at the time, just catching up with a friend on Steam. At this point I'm very confused and concerned that something is horribly wrong with my $900 PC, which I invested a good deal of money on with the expectation that it would age well throughout my broke college student years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Although I have a decent knowledge and experience with computers, I've been lucky enough never to have had problems with blue screens before, so I'm not exactly well-prepared to diagnose them on my own.

Here's some information that may help:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, 768 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 858942 MB;
    Motherboard: ASRock, 870 Extreme3, ,
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Attached is a fairly comprehensive WhoCrashed analysis following the clean install to present.

Attached Files:

2. domasmak

domasmak

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This is most surely the clue on which you should work.
    1. Have you installed any programs or utilities around that time., that you have now REINSTALLED, since the clean install of Windows 7.
    2. When did you first install STEAM or another aspect of STEAM and can that tie in with the original problem AND has that now been reinstalled.
    3. It appears to have many symptoms of a registry booster/cleaner program - has this been installed before the problems and now reinstalled.
    4. If this was a complete format and reinstall of Windows 7 on a 1Tb hard drive - C drive, then we can on the face of it eliminate the question of a virus
    5. Microsoft have issued a hotfix for Windows 7 for SIMILAR problems, but with an error of
    STOP: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    which according to the Who Crashed report you do not have, albeit that as you probably know, errors are frequently inter related and as Who Crashed has reported - do not always indicate a driver error on the rep0rted module.
    See this link
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979444/en-gb
    ascertain if it offers the hotfix to you.
    Having just formatted and reinstalled, you clearly will I presume not be losing much if you have to do so again. However before trying the hotfix, if it is offered, establish a restore point.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/system-restore.aspx

Safe Mode, as you will know loads only a minimal set of drivers and processes. As it does NOT crash in Safe Mode we need to try and establish what is the cause
    To this end please follow this link
    Clean boot and IF THE PROBLEM IS THEN SOLVED work your way through as described
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us

If you have still not found the solution and you have no declared warnings on drivers I would start to suspect a hardware issue.
    As the computer is only 6 months old, I would strongly recommend, if it is under any sort of guarantee that you return it for hardware component testing. These symptoms if not cured as above could so easily be a failure in the graphics hardware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!