1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent Crashes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lawsonmorton, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawsonmorton

lawsonmorton Thread Starter

I have a computer that freezes up and will frequently crash. The cpu seems to peak at 100% most times if it is downloading or running a virus scan. The hard drive crashed, i installed a new one, and loaded a new operating system, 2000. It did not take the download and seem after it reached a particular point with the cpu peaking at 100% stopped. It did not freeze cause you can open other programs but it just would not download anything else even if u left it on overnight. Its the same thing running a scan with the virus program, it would scan a certain number of files, then stop the computer is not in a frozen state but it just would not scan another file. And then of course even if u r not downloading or scanning, there are times when u would try to open something and then it would just crash. The basic specs, Atlon 1600+ 256mb memory, 40 gig wd harddrive the motherboard is a dfi am33-el. There are two red lights on the motherboard, one of my tech friends thinks these should be green and not red and it might indicate a problem with the motherboard, but i don't know what to do. have already reset defaults in bios and changed a couple of setting and changed them back, but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help, any suggestions would be welcomed.

I need to mention that i formatted this computer a few times and replaced the OS.

2. n2gun

n2gun

Another thing to think about, is the power supply adequate or going bad. The lights may be telling you the voltage is off.

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Also, you may want to think about purchasing another heatsink or using Acrilic Silver for a buffer between the core and the heat sink. If your CPU is at %100 all the time...bad news...bad news.
    1st...is it overclocked? If so, cut it down!
    2nd...try running spybot, go to www.download.com and type in the search 'spybot' and search for upgrades and run it.
    3rd...how did you format the drive? Run your utility the manufacturer provides for download.
    4th...yada, yada, yada

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice