1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent Disconnects from Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zeloc, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeloc

zeloc Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I posted a while back that I was having frequent disconnects from the Internet with my DSL connection and a Westell 7500 modem. The problem is always solved by turning off the modem, waiting 1 minute, and turning the modem back on, although sometimes I have to do this a couple times. There are also periods of time when the Internet is extremely slow for hours.

I ran several tests from the website that was recommended and the results are below. The first is when the Internet was running decently well. The next 2 are when it was extremely slow.

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2570317

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2573289

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2573301

My modem is plugged into an arbitrary phone jack and I use the wireless connection for my computer. There are no phones or other gadgets plugged into any other phone jacks. I did find the Telco box outside the house on the first floor but I did not want to plug the modem directly in because I would have to leave it outside hanging somehow in the cold and I didn't want to play around with opening it and such.

Can anyone interpret what these tests mean and what is my next step? Thanks!!

2. peck1234

peck1234

Go to Device Manager, Network Adapters, Right click your network card and go to properties, make sure power save settings are all turned off.....

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you are having some packet loss, so my top suspect would be the ISP or your modem.

4. zeloc

zeloc Thread Starter

Thanks for the posts. I turned off the power save mode on my network card and will see if it helps.

How can I find out whether it is my ISP vs. my modem?

5. JohnWill

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

6. zeloc

zeloc Thread Starter

Hi, I posted that information in my original post above. Is there a next step I can do to speed up the connection?

Thanks for all the help!

7. JohnWill

Sorry, wrong thread! :eek:

You have a modem or ISP issue it would appear.

One thing to try. Boot in Safe Mode with Networking, connect directly to the modem, and run a couple of these line quality tests in that configuration. That should eliminate anything that might affect the results. Of course, if you have a different machine, that would be even better to run the tests! :)

8. zeloc

zeloc Thread Starter

To reiterate the problem, or actually 2 problems:

1. The Internet frequently stops working for no apparent reason. When this happens I glance at the modem and the Internet light is always off. I'll turn the modem off for a minute and turn it on, and 95% of the time the Internet light comes back on and the connection works fine.

2. There are times when the connection is extremely slow. It seems to be mostly during the night.

It doesn't seem to be anything with my computer because I have a roommate who experiences the same problem with Internet slowness. I ran one of the tests when this was happening in the OP.

I used to have the modem connected directly to my computer and the problems were the same so I don't think it has anything to do with the router either. This should leave the modem or the ISP as problems. I use a Westell 7500 modem. I could have my roommate run these tests on her computer but I doubt it would accomplish anything. What would be the next step? Thanks for all the help!

9. JohnWill

Actually, running the tests on another computer is instructive, it eliminates any possibility that something on your computer is affecting the results. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice