1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent Disconnects with Verizon DSL

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zeloc, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeloc

zeloc Thread Starter

I have Verizon DSL and my Internet disconnects almost daily. I have the modem hooked directly into my computer (Westell 7500) and there are no phones or anything else connected to any other phone jack. At first I thought there was something wrong with the modem so I complained and Verizon sent me a new one, same model, but I continue to have the same problem. What happens is that the Internet light will just go out while I am in the midst of using the Internet. I turn it off and leave it off for a minute and then turn it back on and it usually works but it is becoming very annoying and time-consuming. Once it did not work when I turned it on again and I had to call Verizon; they ran a line test and said it was a network issue. It did work again in a couple hrs. Over the past few months I have talked to Verizon technical support at least 20 times and they are never able to figure out the problem but waste significant amounts of time running the same tests. Also, sometimes the Internet light remains on but the Internet stops working. I have to shut off both my computer and the modem and restart both in this instance as just turning the modem on and off does not help.

Des anyone know what could be causing this and what I need to do? Thank you very much!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The internet light going off implies a problem with the modem, a filter, your interior wiring or the ISP's network. Trying to isolate will be difficult since this only happens once a day. Best is to connect the modem to the outside Network Interface Device box, if you have one. Second best is to disconnect all filters and other devices from your phone network.

I am going to move your thread to the Networking forum because I think you will get more people helping there.

When you have the issue with the internet light remaining on if you can get going again with a computer reboot that implies a problem with your computer. But if you have to also power cycle the modem that implies to me a problem with the modem or the ISP.

3. zeloc

zeloc Thread Starter

I don't have any filters or phones connected to the network.

Good thought with the light remaining on. I turned off both the computer and modem but I will next time just reboot the computer and see if anything happens. Verizon also sent me a new modem so I doubt it is a modem issue. Most likely it is the ISP itself in which case I'm not sure if anything can be done. Would my connection work better if I purchased a different modem compared to the Westell 7500 I have now?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may still have interior wiring issues, or the ISP may have a problem. I wouldn't buy a modem just yet, let's do some tests.

First off, can you move the modem directly to the telco service entrance and disconnect the in-house wiring and run it directly just for a test? That will tell you if the in-house wiring is the issue.

Next, I'd like to see this.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

5. zeloc

zeloc Thread Starter

Is the telco service entrance the first phone jack as the line enters the house? I have the modem hooked up in my bedroom currently so I can connect it to the first phone jack.

How do I disconnect the in-house wiring?

I will wait to run the DSL test until I have figured out the above. However, since most of the time the Internet works fine, will the line test give any useful information as it will be run while the Internet is working?

Thanks very much for the responses.

6. JohnWill

Actually, the Telco service entrance is typically either outside the house or in the basement where the phone line enters. They have a single RJ-11 jack that connects their line to all your phone wiring. You can unplug it there and disconnect all the interior wiring and plug the modem in there for a test. If that works well, you'll probably need to deal with interior wiring issues.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco NID (Network Interface Device). This is the place the telephone lines come into your home wiring, usually either in the basement or outside near the other utilitiy connections. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand. The splitter I've used in the past is the Wilcom PS-36, it's good for any DSL/ADSL service worldwide.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial

7. zeloc

zeloc Thread Starter

One other question: My condo is a 3rd floor unit and the first floor owner uses Verizon DSL also. Can I do all of this without affecting his connection?

In order to test the connection, to summarize, I would have to plug in the modem into either the basement or the telco service entrance? Since the Internet doesn't work intermittently, I would have to leave it there for a couple days and use the wireless to see how it works, right (which I would only be able to do if the Telco connection is in the basement and not outside)? Or do you recommend I just rewire everything?

Thanks!

8. JohnWill

Your Telco connection will be separate from his, since you obviously don't share a party line. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/848906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice