1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by phixgrrrl, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I've had issues w/my connection since about 4 months ago. I've contacted tech support of Netgear (my router) multiple times and obviously they cannot find the issue. Maybe 3x/week I will lose my connection and will have to restart the router.
    I've gotten a message that 2 pcs are sharing the same IP a few times. I believe there are internal and external IPs and I think one is the same as the wired PC downstairs. The tech people said that wasn't an issue (!)
    I was told by a friend to go into cmd and release the IP but I didn't want to do that until I posted here.
    Below is some additional info and a snapshot of the IP message.
    It was told to me that my modem (I have a separate router and modem) is also a router...so I basically have 2 routers. The tech guy said that was also not an issue.

----------

*Connection: Wireless-my computer. Though the connection issue involves all the computers. One wired, 2 wireless. And my smartphone, as well as my laptop when I'm using it. So in total that would make 4 wireless, 1 wired.

*ISP: ATT

*Connection type: DSL

Router:
    Netgear
    model: R6300v2
    Smart wifi router

Modem/router:
    DLink
    model: DSL-520B

Antivirus:
    My wireless pc: Avira
    2 other Desktops (one wired, one wireless): Kaperski
    My laptop: Avira

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    All the devices lose their connection to the Netgear router? Or the Netgear router loses its connection to the D-Link modem/router?

Does either PC have a static IP? If so it must be in the Dhcp server's address range and should be changed. If not, it may (stress may) indicate a router defect.

3. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I'm not sure. I just know all devices cannot get online. Then I have to restart the router (turn off/on).

Yes they do. Mine is 10.0.0.2. The hardwired one is 10.0.0.4. I haven't checked the other.
    How do I check the range?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Login to the router, navigate to the LAN section, and look at the Dhcp server's start and end addresses.

5. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    Btw the router's IP is 10.0.0.1
    The range is 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.254

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's the Dhcp server's address range? And you have at least two static IPs? If so, ...

If you can change the Dhcp address range (say, to ....100 through ....200) do so. Else, if the router allows "IP reservation" (where you set the device for a dynamic IP but in the router set the device's MAC Address to always get assigned the desired IP) use that. Else assume that the router assigns addresses in the low range and choose something high (e.g. ....202 and ....204) for the static devices. Note that I used ... to represent 10.0.0.

7. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I'll try changing it first, per the first suggestion.

8. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    I changed the range. However I noticed when I go to "internet" tab, and then "internet IP address" it says "Get Dynamically from ISP"
    But under LAN setup, it has the starting and ending IP. And also 'user router as dhcp server'
    Does the former mean it's not using that range?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The "Internet" tab is the WAN section of the router--the part that connects to your ISP. That network is just between your router (WAN side) and an ISP computer. Of course, the ISP's computer gives you internet access.

That's the LAN section; the network that includes the LAN portion of your router and all the devices that you connect to the router.

It means that you were confusing the WAN and LAN networks. :) No problem.

10. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    So anything I need to do? I'm still getting the issue and IP conflict.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. Then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it.

If the problem(s) continue, on one of the wireless Windows systems ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

12. phixgrrrl

phixgrrrl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Danielle
    Will reseting it cause me to have to redownload the firmware? I'd assume not. Reconfigure includes what?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No; that's why you make sure it has the latest firmware before doing the reset to factory defaults (which, admittedly, is a misnomer since the firmware is not reverted to the original).

Whatever settings you want--SSID and encryption (if wireless), port forwarding, etc.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1166561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice