1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pbman, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

I work at home and wired direct but I still use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Recently the rounter has been loosing it's connection. I decided to go out and get a newer N version linksys WRT120N. I just leaned today that to take advantae of N ,the laptops have to have a N technology. None of them do so the N is kind of a waste but they seem to be replacing the G's with them anyway.

I called Linksys and and even after a firmware update the problem stayed the same. They told me, on the next time I was disconnected, to go direct to the modem for a couple days. The direct connection seemed to be fine. I decided to go back to the router and no more than a day or so I was disconnected.

Linksys suggest to go back to the store and replace the unit

Comcast told me that the router can't keep up with IP address refreshing through the day. Comcast said they do that for security reasons.

I'm looking for suggestions even though most salepersons & techs still stick by Linksys

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I had the same problem ... With a WRT54G setting on top of my Linksys Modem.
    Comcast said to move it about 10 feet away from the Modem ... That worked.

Not really wanting to relocate it .. I shut down the wireless and removed the antennas.

How close to the modem is it ???

3. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

It's inches away. I could possibly move the modem because I have all the direct wired machines coming in on one harness to the side of the router.

Hmmm10 feet, I'll try but I think I'll get only a couple feet away

Thanks

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I really don't remember how far they said ... But I guessed 10 feet oughta do it.
    My first test was to remove the antennas .. that proved what the problem was.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Actually, Insightbb was my ISP before Comcast bought it out.
    I had this problem back in my Insightbb days ..
    That was when you could call them and get someone who knew what they were doing.

My first call went something like this ..
    I'm having a problem.
    Do you have a wireless Router .. Yes.
    Is it setting on top of the Modem .. Yes.
    Move it

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/897494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice