1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent internet spike

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Soulsko, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soulsko

Soulsko Thread Starter

Frequent internet spikes have been happening for a while now, not much of a bother since it doesn't occur so often but its been bugging me. Every 30 or so minutes, maybe an hour (haven't timed but approximately)

Anyhow, it spikes for 1-5 seconds every 30 to 1 hour, and I know its not on just my games, because it happens when I load youtube videos, and logs me off of msn sometimes, and when people are talking on my ventrilo, they just stop and there is clutter of voices after the spike is over. So what exactly is the problem? I've reformatted several times, restarted my modem and router and checked my router settings (yes router does have password). Only one laptop downstairs is using the internet.

Help please.

-Soul

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

DOes this happen to other computers on the network? First step would be to determine if this is a network issue or a local machine issue.

3. Soulsko

Soulsko Thread Starter

Unfortunately there is no way to tell, other than with the information i have right now due t the fact that the other computer is a business computer used by my mom and I'd rather not touch it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice