1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent Lag Spikes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Davidm910, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidm910

Davidm910 Thread Starter

I'm currently having problems with my internet, with random lag spikes at no particular time. I'll be just browsing the internet with not much else running in the background, and it'll take a good 6-10 seconds where it'd normally take only a couple seconds to load a page.

Obviously that sounds minimal, but I'll be playing a game and the game won't allow me to do anything for around the same amount of time, sometimes longer.

Also, ventrilo's ping will sky rocket into 5 digit ping, and if it persists long enough, ventrilo will disconnect along with any messengers. It's not my modem as I have other computers on the network that have no problems, and it's not a matter of bandwidth since it never has been before.

Anyone got any possible solutions?

2. kanfaar

kanfaar

Hey Davidm910,

Well, it sounds like it's merely a situation with your particular computer, as you stated: "I have other computers on the network that have no problems". While you also state that you don't have "much else running in the background", my thoughts immediately wonder 'what' you may have running in the background, as opposed to 'how much' you have running in the background...

Just a couple of things to check: 1) Do you have more than 1 AV running? If so, disable one of them; those programs will tend to compete with each other and potentially cause trouble like that, especially during times of high-usage. 'Potentially' the same with multiple firewalls, but less likely. 2) Have you tried isolating your computer on the network to ensure that it has little/nothing to do with anything on the network? Try taking the other computers off the network (keeping yours plugged into the router) and see if it still happens on yours. If that fixes it, then there's a good indication that there's something to do with the network setup and how it's doling out bandwidth. If it doesn't fix it, then try plugging directly into the modem. If that fixes it, then it could be the same, but possibly a problem with the particular port you're using on the router, try a different port. 3) Is there, perhaps, a background program that intermittently causes excessive traffic. Try disabling them one-by-one to see if it alleviates the issue.

Other than those things, someone else might be able to think of some other potential issues, but that might give you a good jumping-off point. There are some possible stack issues that others here have pre-conceived answers to, so hopefully they'll jump in here....

Good Luck!!

3. Davidm910

Davidm910 Thread Starter

Background processes are just normal windows processes with small things like dropbox or just programs that don't even connect to the internet.

I run both Spybot and Avast, though I guess getting rid of one would be smart, as I've heard that can cause problems. I'll do that and see if it helps. I've already tried isolating my computer, having it be the only thing connected to the router. I have NOT tired connecting directly to the modem just yet, I'll make sure to try that if the antivirus thing doesn't help. And I've stripped down my processes down to almost just explorer and it didn't help, along with starting in safe mode with networking and that didn't work either.

Thanks for the advice so far. Also, as much as I don't think it's my ISP, it seems to come and go and different times of the day. It's ALWAYS fine late at night. Though that could just be coincidental.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice