Frequent lock-ups

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theladysman01

My computer experiences frequent lock-ups. Someone said it might be a conflist with my RAM and my motherboard or my RAM and Windows ME. Anybody have any input?

Hi
Could you give a bit more information about your system to help diagnosis?
PC specs like Chip size, HD size, RAM amount etc.
Also, take a look under the Start menu at System Tools - System Information and report back on the amount of free space you have on the hard drive, say as a percentage of total capacity.
As a start, you could try doing a Cleanup, either through the MS app, or manually - things like emptying Recycle Bin, Temp folders, Temp internet files - this may free resources a little.

Also check what you have in your Startup folder - also listed in System Information.

If you are getting specific error messages let us know what they are.

theladysman01

The info you asked for:

AMD Athlon 1.0 Ghz
Two hard drives:
38.35 GB partioned into 23.67 GB with 12.97 GB free and 14.64 GB with 10.02 GB free
14.28 GB with 5.20 GB free
RAM 640 MB

(I couldn't fing free space as a percentage).

Okay, so plenty of power and resources then. (the percentage thing not listed, just a diy calc I do).
Have you cleaned all the partitions on all the drives as I suggested? Any improvements?
What about error messages?
Have you tried a virus scan? If you have no av software try an online scan from here:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

What about spyware - try

www.spychecker.com

Can you pinpoint when these lock ups first started? Might they be related to some hardware or software changes you have made?

Without more feedback on what you've tried etc its a bit like fishing in the dark.

crjdriver

If you are running win9x you may be experiencing problems with the amount of ram you have installed. To check this remove one stick of ram [so that you are below 512] reboot and see if you still have problems.

theladysman01

I did the disk cleanup on all partitions.

I lied about one thing. This is not my computer, this is my roomates computer. I can't remember if it locked up before he installed more RAM. I'll ask him when he gets back.

I get no error message. The system just locks up. I try ctl+alt+del and it doesn't respond. I hit it again and it reboots. Sometimes I have to hit it several times.

This happens mainly when I'm using IE. I was going to repair it in the ADD/REMOVE window and the program IE wasn't there.

The answer to cjdriver's suggestion: I'll bet he won't want to do that.

theladysman01

Also, it locks up when I'm using the IntelliMouse Optical USB and PS/2 Compatible. Especially when I use the scroll wheel in IE. He has a USB converter that goes into the computer. I don't know if that is a problem. I'll try finding drivers for it and installing them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online