1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

frequent reboots, cannot stop updates, cannot reset, bsod

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by angelgabbby, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelgabbby

angelgabbby Thread Starter

Hi,
    I turned on my other laptop & it was running really laggy however my internet speed was great. After restarting a couple of times I went & noticed that it was catching up on updates (it had been a month or two since I had used that laptop. The problem was though it kept showing it was updating, then would restart & say it was updating the same update (KB4103727). After about a day of this I realized I couldnt even pause the updates (the slider is greyed out). Later the folling day I realized it had officially failed that update but was stuck on another (kb4093112, which it also finally officially failed & moved on to being stuck on feature 1803). Also the computer was getting slower & slower and would freeze often. If left alone it would reboot ALOT. I know it blue screened a few times too. I have tried to stop updates via services, the microsoft hide updates tool to keep it from temporarily installing specific updates, from regedit, & even from command, however it won't (it says it cannot stop service). Since it now has gotten so progressively worse that it reboots often (usually about the time the current update its stuck on, feature 1803, gets at 24%), we tried to reset it but it ended up telling us it couldnt reset. I've ran the windows troubleshooters (though it usually reboots before done). I've tried everything I've found to do.
    This hard drive is partitioned & has windows 7 on the other partition. When using Windows 7 on it, I haven't had any problems. It even updated it just fine. It also worked just fine when I last used it (before this episode lately). But even as I was typing this, it got to 24% on the feature update again, and blue screened, this time saying "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" again. Other bluescreen errors I seen it give a day or so ago were "KERNAL DATA INPAGE ERROR" and "MEMORY-something".
    I know I'm forgetting some other stuff that I tried so if you need any more info I will try to answer asap. Thanks alot for your time & assistance.

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Go to the Windows search box and type CMD (wait until the blue box pops up above that says "Command Prompt" Right click on the blue area "command prompt" and click "run as administrator" click "yes" to the popup notification. Type in the command prompt Window : sfc /scannow (let that run until completion) Then, next, try the steps listed in this video. I would suggest disabling all anti-virus and anti-malware programs before doing the steps in this video..

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  3. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Have you tried rolling back to the previous Windows version? There are still a lot of issues that need to be worked out with the latest release. Paul’s advice on uninstalling any third party antivirus programs is good and a step further is to perform a clean boot to remove most software and services from running before updating. I also highly recommend making an image backup before upgrading with Macrium reflect or similar.

Paul23 likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!