1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent Unexpected Shutdowns / Black Screen-No Pwr / Repeat Patterns in Event Viewer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Catherine_B, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Catherine_B

Catherine_B Thread Starter

Greetings - I have a major problem of 4-6 shutdowns a day and would really appreciate your help. Here are the specs, description of the problem will follow:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4062 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce G 105M, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 202635 MB;
    Motherboard: Compal, 306D
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I have searched for months but cannot find a solution to fix this on my own. It's getting much worse suddenly.

Shutdowns occurring in front of my eyes or when I'm not looking; cannot discern any particular software or drivers at fault, no timing pattern. Browser and email open or not; assorted programs open or not. Loses all power and stays off, like a power plug pulled. Happens at my home and other locations as well, with home PSU or my travel PSU (both OEM and carefully handled over the years), as well as on battery power only.

I had random shutdowns before a new hard drive replacement & clean Win7 OS installed Sept 2014. Shutdowns began shortly after again; now shutdowns much worse again. Do not believe it's temp related; I run a fan nonstop under the laptop which is in the air on a platform with cooling pad underneath, regularly shoot canned air in; temps in both cores avg mid-40's C and stay displayed in systray, so I watch carefully. GC integrated on MB, so can't find a separate reading for card only.

Happens with 2 different PSU's, carefully handled, also on just battery power.

Did a power drain recently for static buildup; coincidentally or not, was better for a week. Have run chkdisk, memory tests, check for driver updates, and other system tools; no problems detected.

I have checked for driver updates; system says none available. All windows updates are current and kept current. No viruses or malware show up.

Minidumps set on 'minidumps', not kernel. No file written to the windows minidump folder; WhoCrashed said minidumps are written, but none for the last crash. (Before that, kernel dumps were set and WhoCrashed never came up with an analysis, so I look at the event viewer.

Event viewer seems to have the same or very similar patterns leading up to the shutdowns, but things I've tried from searches are ineffective. Here's the pattern, after manually restarting after a blackout shutdown.

Event 219, Kernel-PnP - Warning
    The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC-&PROD_MULTI-CARD&REV_1.00#20071114173400000&0#.

Event 1001, Dhcp-Client - Error
    Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x00255668193D. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Event 6008, EventLog - Error
    The previous system shutdown at 6:16:48 PM on ‎5/‎6/‎2015 was unexpected.

Event 41, Kernel-Power - Critical
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

In the interest of transparency and respect for the generous tech support people here, may I say that I did previously post my problem to another forum but did not receive tech help. I sincerely appreciate the volunteers and agree with the need for patience. But this is my work computer (and I am self-employed). As there is no guarantee anyone on another forum will ever be able to help, and because I must have my computer working, I am hoping someone here can help pretty soon before my whole computer dies. (I sure hope it is not inappropriate to post on two forums; if so, please forgive me, I did not know.)

I am very conscientious about the tech's time, and in the off chance I ever hear from the other forum with a solution, I will immediately update this thread accordingly so as not to waste anyone's time.

It's critically important I get this resolved, so THANK YOU in advance for helping! It is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi Seems like you have tried a lot of things! Have you tried driver verifier?? Who Crashed might help if this causes a crash!!
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff545448%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_verifier

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As a quick test, boot the system with a linux live dev/usb. This will tell you whether you have a hardware or software problem. If you have the same problem using a live disk, you know you have a hardware problem ie failing mb, ram, etc. If it runs fine under linux, then the hardware is probably ok [note this does not test your hd] To test the hd, find out who mfg the drive and download the diagnostic for testing the drive. Do both the short and long tests.

As for which linux live disk to use, I would choose either mint or ubuntu.

4. Catherine_B

Donetao: I tried a driver verifier (forgot which one) - and it said I needed just about every driver updated. Sounded like trouble! My own system says everything is up to date when I check my device manager and click on items one by one. I know just enough to know fiddling with graphics drivers (or others) without enough knowledge could mean no screen at all. I can try the version you suggested and see what they say.

5. Catherine_B

crjdriver:

My HD is a Toshiba MQ01ABD050 ATA Device, new Sept 2014. Are there exact instructions for a beginner on the subject of how to obtain and set up a Linux live dev on a usb stick please? I know exactly zero about anything linux but am eager to learn, thank you.

(I will be back later and will faithfully follow up on these suggestions.)

6. donetao

donetao Banned

OK! Driver versifier is a Microsoft feature that all windows have. Linux is a operating system. I think you have pretty well tested your hardware. I suspect drivers or your power supply! Here's a good guild about updating drivers.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/98465/htg-explains-when-do-you-need-to-update-your-drivers/
    Here's what driver verifier does!!

7. Catherine_B

I will run the verifier again; but when my system says they are up to date and a 3rd party tool says otherwise, I don't know how to - or whether to! - try to force a change.

BTW - I agree the PSU is suspect; but: I have two complete cord systems + batteries, and all 3 ways have shutdowns, including plugging in at someone else's house. Or do you mean, the internal computer power supply connection? The latter is what I wonder about.

8. donetao

donetao Banned

Windows driver verifier is not a 3rd party tool. Please read my replies more thoroughly. If your not comfortable with Windows driver verifier, please don't run it. The main drivers to update are in the reply from howtogeek. Your thread says black screen no power????If you show no signs of power when shut down,it very well could be the power connection is bad.
    The best place to get your graphics driver is at NVIDIA. This will automatically check if you have the latest graphics driver.
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

9. donetao

donetao Banned

10. Catherine_B

Yes, donetao, I apologize, when the driver verifier link opened up to a Resplendence page, I thought it was theirs. I was on my way out the door earlier and missed that it is a windows program.

I did previously test my driver version on the NVidia site (thanks for the helpful link!) but checked again just now; the Feb 2015 version I have is the one they are recommending.

I did read and run verifier.exe, and no stop screen or messages came up.

The temps are now warmer, up to 60 C and now down to mid-50's, so I should shut down and hit it with canned air.

I'm reading up downloading what's necessary to run a test with linux as suggested. While I did know linux was an OS, I didn't know it could be run at will on a windows system. I'm unsure at this moment what/how to do that hardware/software test so am trying to find out more.

I just learned I have been using the wrong terms. I suspect the 'internal PSU' of perhaps being hinky. I should have referred to the two OEM 'power adaptors' and batteries, which all experience shutdowns.

11. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! Have you heard of Speccy. It will show you temps and other info!
    Here's the Linux I use to rescue data from a HD. It should work for you. It works from just a CD and doesn't install on your PC. I don't have a lot of experience with Linux. There are two pages on this link!!
    https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download
    I hope I'm not going to fast and confusing you. Trying to answer your questions.
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202435en?language=en_US

Attached Files:

12. Catherine_B

No, thanks for asking, you are not going too fast - but my 'life' is definitely going too fast. 8(

The rascal just had another shutdown after my previous post. No minidump file written to, but dumps are enabled. (per whocrashed). I was not in the room, the power snuck off while I wasn't looking. No programs or browsers etc running; just the minimal startup programs.

I have crystaldiskinfo but can try speccy; have not read yet what it will do for me.

*So event viewer is no help?
    *Will linux indicate a power supply problem?
    *Is it ok to download linux to boot from usb vs cd?

I want to check the power supply unit and need to read up on that - as well as the linux from your links for testing. I should be quite educated when this is resolved; hopefully my computer will make it that long.

Thank you! I'll check back to see if you had a chance to answer those 3 little questions, then I may be offline for awhile but will be back by morning at the latest.

13. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! I'll try to answer your questions.
    Speccy has a lot of features. I use it to monitor temps. Not familiar with crstaldiskinfo. I use seatools to test my HD. Linux is another operating system. Yes you can down load Linux to a USB, but you need to make sure your PC can boot from a USB. If your PC shuts down while running Linux, to me that's saying you have hardware problems and that Windows OS is probably not the cause of your shut downs. I think that's what Cydriver is trying to tell you. I'm not understanding why Who Crashed is not giving you a dump file. That makes me suspect the power supply, but you have two. You can force a test shut down with Who Crashed and see if a dump file is created.
    Scroll down to the bottom and see how to create a crash dump test.
    http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed_dumpnotwritten
    PS yes if you will be quite educated when this problem is solved. I hope we have some more members reply with their suggestions and thoughts!

14. Catherine_B

I will work on these things! What great resources. Will back as soon as I have something to report, no later than tomorrow late morning est.

I guess event viewer is not the help I anticipated? I'll run a crash test and see what shows up.

Thanks again.

15. Catherine_B

OK, does this tell you anything, or only that dumps will write out? (forced crash dump)

On Sat 5/9/2015 12:31:52 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050815-28938-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: rspcrash64.sys (rspCrash64+0x108B)
    Bugcheck code: 0xDEADDEAD (0x0, 0x0, 0x191CF6AA, 0x3C2A58ED)
    Error: MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH1
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\rspcrash64.sys
    product: WhoCrashed
    company: Resplendence Software Projects Sp.
    description: Resplendence WhoCrashed Crash Dump Test
    Bug check description: This indicates that the user deliberately initiated a crash dump from either the kernel debugger or the keyboard.
    This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice