1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frequent wireless network connectivity issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drewmnet, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drewmnet

drewmnet Thread Starter

I'm a relative newbie to this so go slow, but here's the problem:
    I have a D-Link 524 and I connect to the internet via a speedstream 5100 DSL modem(SBC/Yahoo) and my computers(one desktop and a few laptops) all have Windows XP SP2. These have worked fine for a while, until my friend started to bring his laptop(same as above) over here. And now whenever he's connected to the internet, my desktop's connection to the internet is gone... I still am connected to the router(I can log into it in the browser and all) but there is no internet connection. A power cycle generally fixes for a short time, but I'm hoping to get a permanant fix. If you can help please do so, I'll answer any other questions about my setup that you want... thanks
    -Drew M.

2. drewmnet

drewmnet Thread Starter

please Help!!!

3. microwally

microwally

Drew, have you checked your friends computer for viruses? I have seen one computer on a network of 20 bring a T1 to it's knees with a virus sending outgoing packets. (Sure was embarrasing when I called our ISP to complain about having no internet :rolleyes: )

4. caminator

caminator

Make sure your DHCP server has the range for that many computers on your network. Maybe he is getting an IP conflict with your desktop, thus taking it offline....?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Maybe he is getting an IP conflict with your desktop ..."

Also, maybe he is using a static IP that happens to be the same as your desktop's?

6. drewmnet

drewmnet Thread Starter

It looks like this might be something wrong with the router, because it did it earlier today and he wasn't even here... just for kicks and giggles how can I check and change the laptops' ip addresses?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I wouldn't advise changing IP addresses on the laptops unless one is not obtaining its IP configuration dynamically(Dhcp). An easy way to check is to go into Network Connections, click once on the connection, and look at the last 3 lines in the left pane--IP address, subnet mask, and how the IP was obtained.

Back to the router--(1) if you keep the router on "always," try a restart (or power cycle) periodically (maybe once a week, maybe once a day, ...).

Make sure you know your router's configuration and (2) install a firmware update if there is one. (3) Reset to factory settings, reconfigure, and cross your fingers. If it is still assigning conflicts after all three steps, watch the ads for good prices on similar routers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice