Frequently receiving "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" when surfing with dial-up interne

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kewtchic

I apologize if anyone has already asked these questions, I'm having such issues with the internet right now I can't check to see if they have been asked. Plus everytime I come here I can't seem to find out how to just log in and post my question.
I'm running Windows XP with the newest version of IE. I have a dial-up connection, and while I am aware of just how slow this is, something has to be wrong otherwise. It hangs everywhere I go - no matter what site I visit I wait and wait and wait for it to connect. The little flag in the corner barely flaps. Most of the time I get "The Page Cannot be Displayed" - so I then refresh only to get half the page with some of the buttons not filled in, or it just boots me off the internet altogether. I've called my ISP who says they've done everything on their end they can and that the problem must be my computer. My call manager (the program that shows me who's calling) won't work, once it's connected it gives me a pop error about a socket connection error and this pop up comes up continuously - once I click ok, it comes back up over and over and over.. so much that I have to disable it.
I'm at the end of my rope for how to fix these issues. It's slower than slow. As a matter of fact I've spent the last 90 minutes trying to get to the Tech Support site and had to type this in notepad first because I was getting frustrated waiting and waiting for the site to come up. I'd get half the page then it would come up "action cancelled" - or again with "The Page Cannot be Displayed".
My computer is still under warranty but I run a small business out of my home and need my computer so can't afford to send it away to have it fixed.
I run defrag, and delete all cookies/temp internet files on a regular basis.
I don't know what else to try. I'm paying for the call manager but can not use it, plus my introductory fee for the internet will go up at the end of this month. Yet it doesn't work half the time for me.
Could it be my computer??
Please help!!

One assumes that you've checked for virii and spyware?

Classic symptoms...

kewtchic

I've checked for virii and spyware - I've run the 'startuplist' program, the spybot and hijackthis.. I don't have any virii (much more correct sounding than viruses' lol)
and thanks to Dan O for the article - I had NOT seen that.
I've been doing some surfing around the microsoft site and I think the error may be corrected.. I also called the Compaq help desk and they talked me through disabling all the processes starting up when I start windows and things seem to be working better.
thank you for your responses ;)

kewtchic

Just to let you know the problem is solved now. First I called the Compaq help desk since my tower is still under warranty. They talked me through deleting everything that starts up when my windows starts. Told me XP knows what it needs to start and will start on its own. That seemed to work for a while.. then - lo and behold - we received notice that cable internet was now available in our area.
So we now have a cable connection and no more hassles and problems with dial-up!!
Thanks for the attention!

I do however have one more question, this may not be the proper place for this topic but I'd like to ask here then I'll ask in the proper place..:
I have a friend who used Microsoft Office 2000 - I use MicrosoftWorks 7.0 yet when I send her anything I've done with my word processor she can't open it. I have to copy and paste it into wordpad and send it as an .rtf file instead of a .wps.
Can anyone tell me why our programs aren't compatible?? They are both microsoft...?
Thanks.;)

I found this for you.

Share between Works Word Processor and Word
If you're a Works Suite 2003 user, you already have Word 2002. But Works 7.0 users aren't left behind. Just as the Works spreadsheet provides a powerful way to organize data, the Works Word Processor is a robust, effective program that works with Microsoft Office documents.

Word 2002 contains some advanced features not found in Works. But for straightforward word processing, such as opening, editing, and saving, Works easily handles Word documents.

To open a Word document in Works

In the Works Task Launcher, click the Programs tab, click Works Word Processor, and then click Start a blank Word Processor document.

The word processing program opens.
Click the Open button on the toolbar.
In the Files of type box, click Word 97-2002 (*.doc).
In the Look in box, locate the folder or drive containing the Word document.

Click the file you want, and then click Open.
Once you open the document, edit as you would in Word. Since Word contains some advanced features that Works does not, these features will not work in Works.

If you know you'll be sharing a "soft copy" of your document with a Word user, save it in Word format (*.doc). Word users can open a file saved in Works Word Processor format (*.wps), but the file will be more recognizable to a Word user if you save it in the Word format.

To save a Works word processing document in Word format

On the File menu, click Save As.
In the Save as type box, click Word 97-2000 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc).

Exchanging data with other programs
In addition to working with Word and Excel documents, Works can open files from many other software programs, including WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3. When you open a file that was created in another program, you might see slight differences. For example, if the file contains formatting that is not supported in Works, that formatting might not be preserved.

To see whether the file you want to open is supported by Works

Open the Works program that most resembles the program that created the file (for example, open the Word Processor if you're checking a file from WordPerfect).
On the File menu, click Open.
In the Files of type box, click the arrow to open the drop-down menu.

The compatible file types are listed with their file name extension.
If the file format is incompatible with Works, you may be able to save the file in a format that is supported by both Works and the other program. If the programs don't share a file format, you might have to save the file as text (.txt) or Rich Text Format (.rtf) before you can open it in Works.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online