1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fresh Install of XP - Guidance needed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jrak, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

I have a two year old computer that has been operating erraticaly - a program take 4 minutes to load, computer crashes when inserting a CD, a program won't load because of a runtime error. While I've been able to remedy these issues (with the exception of 4 minute load time for a particular program), I believe that the time has come to do a clean install of my Windows XP Home operating system. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the information available on the net. What's the best guide for doing the clean install?

Please note that one of the issues that I had was a few bad sectors on my C drive. These were fixed with Scan Disk. Would it be advisable to replace my C Drive with a new one? And if I do, what would be the best way to install the new drive and operating system in my computer? My computer specs are provided below.

Thanks for the guidance!

Processor
    Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    Speed : 3.00GHz
    L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous ATC

Mainboard
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB FireWire/1394
    MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
    System BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 1016.001
    Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4C800-E
    Chipset : ASUSTeK Computer Inc Unknown (2578)
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 1023MB

Video System
    Monitor/Panel : NEC MultiSync 70
    Monitor/Panel : NEC MultiSync 70
    Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Adapter : RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary

Physical Storage Devices
    Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
    Hard Disk : Maxtor 6Y120L0 (114.5GB)
    Hard Disk : ST3200822A (186.3GB)
    Hard Disk : ST3300831AS (279.5GB)
    Hard Disk : Promise 1+0 Stripe/RAID0 SCSI Disk Device (233.8GB)
    CD-ROM/DVD : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D (CD 48X Rd, 48X Wr) (DVD 6X Rd, 6X Wr)

Logical Storage Devices
    1.44MB 3.5" (ASmile : N/A
    Hard Disk (CSmile : 114.5GB (40.8GB, 36% Free) (NTFS)
    Disk4_vol1 (DSmile : 233.8GB (95.9GB, 41% Free) (NTFS)
    Disk2_vol1 (ESmile : 186.3GB (134.1GB, 72% Free) (NTFS)
    CD-ROM/DVD (FSmile : N/A
    New volume (GSmile : 279.5GB (212.5GB, 76% Free) (NTFS)

Peripherals
    Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 3 COM / 1 LPT
    USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
    USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
    USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
    USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
    USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
    USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
    FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse : Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (IntelliPoint)
    Human Interface : HID-compliant device
    Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device

MultiMedia Device(s)
    Device : SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Communication Device(s)
    Device : Intel(R) 536EP V.92 Modem

Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Version 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

Network Adapter(s)
    Network Drivers Enabled : Yes
    Adapter : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection

2. norton850

norton850

Are you planning just to wipe everything clean and start over? Which is your C drive? It looks like you have a RAID setup is that where the OS is going?

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

It is not unusual for a drive to develope some bad sectors . . however, if it does it often, it's time to replace the drive.

To install XP . . Prior to installing, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

If you are using an upgrade version installation CD, you'll also need a CD with an older operating system ( Windows 98SE or Windows ME ) to complete the install. Also Make sure you have the 25-digit product code for the Windows XP CD.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formatting and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

If you are installing on SATA drive, there is an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
    http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You will likely have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, If your XP installation disc does not include SP2, after the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

If you want to save your files and settings, you can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of them and save to cd or other removable media. These are good guides to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_fstw.asp
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

For help entering BIOS: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

4. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

SIMPSWR, Thanks for the detailed post. It was exactly what I was looking for. I'll reinstall on my existing C drive. If any additional sector problems come up, I get a new drive. Does that make sense? If I did choose to install on a new hard drive, what addtional steps would I have to take.

Norton850, I used the raid setup to add an addition storage drive to my system. The operating system is not on it.

5. norton850

norton850

Personally I would not do an install onto a drive with bad sectors. Although there's no harm in it I don't know if there is any purpose in creating a 1 + 0 RAID setup for storage. (Any expert comments from forum members?). You could consider making the SATA/RAID drives your OS drives. Simpswr's post details all you will need when installing Windows to a new drive. If you install the OS to the IDE drive you don't technically need to install SATA drivers to do the install, but you will need them eventually or your system won't recognize the SATAs.

Does your Windows install CD have sp2 on it or did you install that later?

6. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

I installed the SP2 after installing Windows on my computer. My Windows disk is roughly 2 years old.

I don't recall the reasons for setting up the raid array, which was done some time ago. I was adding a fourth hard drive to my system at the time (I do a lot of video work and needed it for storage). The first 3 drives were ATA and the one I added was a SATA. I fumbled around a bit during the install process and ended up adding it through the Raid controller. It worked fine, so I left it at that. If there is a better way to use by controller resources, I would be eager to hear about it.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Actually, it would be fewer steps . . when setup detects no bootable hard drives, it will start the installation on its' own . . you just partition ( or not ) and off it will go.

It's a good idea to disconnect any other drives for the installation . . just to be sure there is no confusion. You can reconnect after XP is installed.

As cheap as drives are these days, you might consider a new one so that you have the old one to salvage files from

8. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

simpswr, for the reasons you mentioned, a new drive really does seems to be the way to go. Additionally, I would expect that a new drive would be a bit faster than a 2 year old drive. Thanks for the advice.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

10. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

I just ordered a 400 GB hard drive to replace the one with bad sectors. Is it advisable to partition it or should I use the whole drive for the boot drive?

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

With a drive that size, I like to set one partition of 20 Gig (+/-) for the Operating System and Applications . . . and use the rest for data.

Its a matter of preference . .

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Good move. I would never install XP to a drive with bad sectors and I am curious about your words? Did you use Fat32 instead of Ntfs, and the reason I ask is you said you ran scan disk and fat32 would be a waste of time in XP and not taking advantage of all the XP features. It would also come in to play with partitioning as well, or did you mean to say checkdisk instead?

13. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

Rich-M, I meant to say Checkdisk. All of my drives are NTFS.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Pheww, you had me concerned there!

15. jrak

jrak Thread Starter

I installed the new hard drive along with a fresh install of Windows XP. Everything works much better than before. The installation guides were a very big help. It would have taken twice as long without them. Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice