1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fresh Install Win 7 Ultimate - May not have permission

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by whutitdew, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whutitdew

whutitdew Thread Starter

Jan 10, 2005
    Hello everyone!

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my Dell Optiplex 755. It originally had Windows Vista Business. 64 bit OS. After Win 7 Ultimate installed I immediately want to access files or folders and I'm hit with a

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

So after doing some research I re-installed a second time this time formatting the drive first. Then installing Windows 7 Ultimate. As soon as I get to the desktop I received the same error as mentioned.

I've searched for hours on the Net for an answer and I can't find a single fix for this issue. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
  2. Lance1

Aug 4, 2003
  3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Dec 9, 2004
    You should not be getting these kinds of errors on a new, clean install from legal, known-good media. What kind of disk are you using?
  4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Mar 9, 2009
    Please download and run MGADiag.
    • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
    • Click "Continue"
    • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
    • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
    • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.

Please download and run WVCheck.
    • Double-click WVCheck.exe.
    • As indicated by the prompt, this program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.
    • Once the program is done, copy the contents of the Notepad file as a reply.
  5. ETech7

Aug 30, 2012
    If you are doing fresh installs, go for Windows 8 RP and see how it goes. But as mentioned above, make sure you are using legal copy of Windows.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067049