1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fresh install XP but no internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Canvas, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Canvas

Canvas Thread Starter

Hey guys i seem to being have some trouble with getting my old pc back on the internet, i know somethings about pcs but im not that good with networking,

Now i rolled back my drivers for the VIA ethernet card,
    this now says it has no connectivity,
    I have tried doing the netsh winsock release, still no help.

One thing I do find strange is this.
    [​IMG]

arent they ment to be 0.0.0.0???

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Canvas

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    169.254.x.x usually means windows cannot find a dhcp service so assigns that IP
    it may be a firewall blocking

Have you installed all the drivers and chipset after the fresh install

can we see a device manager screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here

3. Canvas

Canvas Thread Starter

[​IMG]

is that ok?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make and model of the PC - you need to install the drivers , which should be available from the manufacturers website

5. Canvas

Canvas Thread Starter

ok bad news there :p the case is different. All I know is it was a HP thats it, i cant remember the model as it was like 5/6 years old, any easy way of finding the model out? But also why would it come up with a yellow ! if i need to install the drivers?

6. rickyjo

rickyjo

I don't think it's the drivers, but just in case, you could try installing the driver available from HP for that specific card, I'm assuming the one you have is a generic for its chipset courtesy of windows XP, right? The video and audio drivers won't have any affect on you network connection.

But honestly, I don't think that's your problem.

Who's your ISP? Have you tried resetting your router yet? Sometimes that's all it takes.

7. rickyjo

rickyjo

Even if you don't need the network drivers, you will want your audio and video, I'm sure, so to find those you probably will need to open your case and look at the numbers on the motherboard. One of them will be a model number, that combined with the manufacturer of the board will at least get you the mobo drivers. If you chipset has built in audio/video than your problem is solved without determining the HP model.

Another option is to type msinfo32 into the run box. Usually this doesn't work but sometimes you will get lucky and under system model you'll get your mobo model, system model, or some other useful number. Sometimes it will be an imprecise model. For example, if you had a dv5200 it could say you have a dv5000. Fortunately, the drivers for the base model are sometimes close enough (or the same). If it doesn't work you can use "last known good configuration" to undo the changes.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    What about the firewall -? what do you have enabled

you have a yellow ? on other devices , sometimes you do need to install other drivers like chipset to get all the drivers on and working

download and copy across SIW - lets see if that helps identify the devices
    SIW - System Information for Windows
    http://www.gtopala.com/
    See if we can identify the motherboard

XP may work for this depends on version
    Only works on XP Pro - NOT Home editions

Model:

* Go to Start > Accessories > Command Prompt
    * Type, wmic computersystem get model
    * Press Enter

Make:

* Go to Start > Accessories > Command Prompt
    * Type, wmic computersystem get Manufacturer
    * Press Enter

9. Canvas

Canvas Thread Starter

Ok i didnt download SIW because i couldnt see a free version,

This is what CMD came back with

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Wendy>wmic computersystem get model
    Model
    P4M800/478

C:\Documents and Settings\Wendy>wmic computersystem get Manufacturer
    Manufacturer
    eSys

Also i just reset the router, now the computer displays no connection, it cant even see the router now...

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  11. Canvas

Canvas Thread Starter

While Siw is downloading the firewall is just the box standard windows firewall. with default settings. also when i installed XP i did tell windows to auto detect IP address and DNS address, also im downloading all the drivers from the website and im going to install them to see if they help

12. Canvas

Canvas Thread Starter

Ok i installed the drivers, now it did come up with saying installed network adapater, the local connection did flash up quite abit, then stopped after it had installed, now its still got a red cross so i clicked to setup a home network as the comptuer connects to a router but it comes up before the check that it says some hardware isnt plugged in, but it doesnt tell me what... and with SIW what do you want from it?

thanks for the help so far

All drivers installed correctly but only one, it was the P4M800/478
    it comes up saying do you want to install, i click next and it then appears and saying cannot continue the install. then closes

in cmd ipconfig /all this is what is displayed now

[​IMG]

but it is enabled that i know of and the drivers have been installed

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Try safemode with networking

as the pc starts keep tapping F8 a menu appears choose safemode with networking

can we see a screen shot of device manager

{Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here

14. Canvas

Canvas Thread Starter

Here ya go

[​IMG]

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you try safemode and what happened

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice