Fresh install xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bonkers72

Wanted to do a fresh install. I want to wipe the HD clean before I start a clean install. Any programs out there for doing this?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Just boot with your install cd. It will give you the option to remove the existing partition and recreate a new one and format it.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Yes there are quite a few, but the XP CD will offer to do that for you when you boot up with it> choose to continue setting up XP, by pressing Enter key. That should offer to partition the hard drive, combine partitions, delete partitions etc.

If you are using a branded type of computer you may not get all these options.

You have to set your CD drive as first boot priority in order to boot from the XP CD, check that yours is set that way and Setup should start.

Only use drive utilities when you are SURE that your pc does not use some disk space for hidden Recovery partitions. Was there a specific reason you want to use a tool to zero fill the hard drive?

The manufacturer of the hard drive, for example Western Digital, makes a utility that will do that. The downloads are available at the support area for your hard drive maker. EDIT> Squashman, how did you get in there....your reply was not there when I hit "Post Reply"..... no problem though!

bonkers72

I was having a problem trying to just go over the existing operating system. When I get to the part where it says "the following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer" I have c: partition1 [NTFS] 57232 MB {44493 MB FREE}
and unpartitioned space 8MB. I chose c: and then it would say "you chose to install Windows XP on a partition that contains another OS. It might cause problems.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Is this a notebook or laptop? Post the make and model of the computer please.

They often use a hidden small partition>> but it would be larger than 8 Megs.

Older ones store things like the BIOS on the hard drive, not good to delete that part. I could look up some info for you if you like. If it is just a tower, go ahead and wipe the drive.

I use Active KillDisk. It takes quite a while (2 to 3 hours + or - to use it for one pass.)
But, it does erase everything if that is what you need to do.

If you had a huge hard drive the system may only be able to recognize a certain amount- there may have been a drive install utility used in the initial install to work around some kind of limitation.

http://www.killdisk.com/

Runs from a floppy disk. Sees all the various kinds of partitions. Freeware for the basic disk wiping part.
They do data recovery too.

The hard drive manufacturer, for example, Western Digital or Seagate, etc, make their own free tools for zeroing out the drive, they may be easier to use than KillDisk.

If your wiping it clean just delete the partition. Then create a new one and format it with NTFS. You should see the selection to delete the partition on the screen you were at.

bonkers72

Yes it is a desktop pc. It's a ECS P4VMM2 V1.0 w/a Western Digital HD. 60 gig.
I want to wipe her clean!! This is my secondary pc which is no big deal to me.

Did you get the partition deleted and re-created? You should see the option to do so when it asks which partition you want to install windows to. Let us know if you have any issues.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts