1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fresh Install

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by chris.warren, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris.warren

chris.warren Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I have a Dell Optiplex gx280 (DHS) and I would like to install Linux on the HD. The computer previously had Windows 2000 pro, but I deleted the partition in order to load Windows XP home. Now I'm thinking that installing Linux would be a better idea. I want to do my recording software, which is designed to use windows xp. Any suggestions on what linux system I should use? s

Thanks!

Chris

2. namenotfound

namenotfound

Are you dual booting XP and Linux, or just want a pure Linux machine?
    I ask because you mentioned wanting to use recording software designed for XP.

As for which Linux distro, I've always preferred distros that use the GNOME desktop environment, such as Ubuntu. Though others prefer KDE, such as Kbuntu. I don't really like KDE, but it's more familiar to Windows users than GNOME.

3. chris.warren

I would like to run a pure linux machine, and get an emulator to run my programs for windows, like virtual box or something along that nature. I was also thinking of downloading pclinuxos 2008.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

There is no PCLinuxOS '08. There is a minime '08. It is a bare bones OS, based on PCLinuxOS. You will have to download and add any and all programs you wish to use. Not that it is a problem for all.

PCLinuxOS '07 is a full blown desktop OS. I highly recommend it. It is all I use. KDE.

5. chris.warren

Ok, Great!

can you fully install it or does it only run as a livecd?

6. chris.warren

N/M my last post, i am checking out the screenshots online, and it does have an install package to install completly onto the hard drive

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Both for both.

8. 4steve44

4steve44

Where can I get the free download of PCLinuxOS '07? Thanks in advance!

9. chris.warren

I would suggest that you go to pclinuxos.com and download from there. With a good connection you can download the file in about an hour, and i had my computer up and running in less than half an hour.

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

11. TopaRoo

TopaRoo

Hi chris.warren . I'm a PCLOS user , have been using it with a Dual Boot config alongside Win XP for 12 months . Also this is my first post here ; :D your thread caught my attention as I feel you may be jumping in the deepend going from a MS OS to a Linux Distro , with no experience with GNU/Linux .

Yeah , my first post , ... sounds like a huge undertaking chris.warren .
    1. Your Recording Software is for use under Win XP . Maybe I missed something in your introduction to your plans , sure you can Run Windows programs in Linux , but that requires using a Linux program called Wine , fairly advanced undertaking for a Linux beginner .
    2. How does the decision to install Linux be a better idea , you will have no software for Recording till you've learnt how to Install and manage a GNU/Linux Distro .
    3.It's a bit of a steep learning curve using a Linux Disto , personally that's why I kept Win XP , as I learned to be familiar with PCLOS I had Win XP to keep up my regular tasks .

Would very much like to hear how your getting along . ;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice