1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fresh start ends in no start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steelecyurs, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steelecyurs

Steelecyurs Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum, but I figured you could help.
    Specs:
    i7-2600k (no OC)
    16 GB RAM (don't remember what sticks but should be running at 1333)
    dual Radeon HD 6770s (Crossfire)
    OCZ 700W PSU
    Primary HD micro center 64GB SSD
    Secondary 2 Samsung 2TB HDD in RAID 0
    Corsair H70 CPU liquid cooling

and the story

So I started with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and wanted to upgrade and start fresh.
    Downloaded and installed Windows 8 Pro. Somehow ended up with 32-bit so I called MS and they sent me a disc to fix it, but that still didn't work. Not the problem. I ordered a new primary SSD since the one I had was pretty ****** and it came it today. I tried installing my OCZ 256 GB SSD booted my OS and my whole system froze. The only way out was to power down. No idea why this happened but on restart I got a message saying no bootable drive. Insert a boot disk and press any key. For some reason my computer won't recognize my 64GB SSD anymore (keep in mind I have a Windows 8 boot disc in the whole time). They computer tells me to check the connection so I just switch out the wire that's hooked up to my primary SSD hoping that would fix the problem. I couldn't be more wrong... Now my system won't start at all. I can see my motherboard is getting power because the lights on it are lit up and if I unplug the whole thing, plug the wire back in, and restart all the fans start up for a second, turn off, and the system sits idle; unable to boot up to anything.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SteeleCyrus

2. dai

dai

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

What? He said it was an OCZ 700W.

You *might* get away with a dual card setup on that PSU though you're probably on/below the recommended power. Have you tried removing one card and booting up to see if the problem continues?

4. Steelecyurs

I have the OCZ700MXSP PSU and I've been highly monitoring the power consumption so I don't overload it. ;)

I just removed the Crossfire and one graphics card from my PSU and still doesn't start.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, ocz is not the greatest brand of pw supply. You need to understand that with the hardware you are/were running, you were making that pw supply work at or near its max rating.

How long do you think the engine in your car would last if you run it at full throttle all of the time??? That is what you were doing to that pw supply.

Here is what I would do now;
    1 Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Remove any add-in cards except for one video card
    3 Disconnect any usb type device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. Leave your keyboard connected if it is usb
    4 Clear cmos with the clear jumper. Replace jumper to the keep position. I do not see where you listed a mb. Hopefully is a quality asus or gigabyte board and not something like asrock, ecs, etc.

Now pw ON and see if the board will post. If it does, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If it does not post, then you will need to swap parts with known good units; ie pw supply, ram, cpu, etc until you find the failed part.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW here is what I mean when I say ocz is not the greatest. Look carefully at the specs for the 700W unit. You will see two 12V rails rated @25amp each. At first glance, you would think you have 25amp available on each rail. Well that is NOT the case. Look where the mfg limited the combined 12V rails to 552W. If you do the math using ohms law of VxA=W, you would get 600W on the combined 12V rails.

In short this is where 700W is not really 700W. AND this is why we recommend corsair [not builder series] seasonic, pcpower&cooling or FSP pw supplies.

Attached Files:

7. Steelecyurs

Removed a graphics card, unplugged everything except one of the RAID drives (couldn't get to it) and reset the CMOS. It started back up and gave me a two beep error with A5 displayed on the MOBO (Intel 6 series DP67BG) then goes to E6.

8. Steelecyurs

I started out with a 300W PSU and my graphics cards were cutting out because they weren't getting enough power so I ran to the store and got the biggest one they had. I went with the intention of getting a decent 1kW PSU but they didn't have any and I was too impatient to wait for Newegg to ship. Waiting probably would have saved me a great deal of time and effort. I'll definitely have to grab a better PSU asap.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the board is not posting, then you are going to have to swap parts with known good units. Start with the pw supply since it is the easiest thing to check/swap. You do not have to install the test unit; simply connect atx, aux, and video pw. Hit the ON button and see if the board will post.

While you have the case open, get a bright light and give the board a VERY close inspection. Look for any capacitors that look like the pics below. It is a pretty new system to have failing caps however it does not hurt to check while the case is open.

Attached Files:

10. Steelecyurs

I see some spotting on some of my capacitors, but I'm pretty sure it's just dust. As far as I can see there isn't any corrosion on the board at all. I'm getting a post code of 5A (with 2 beeps a pause and 2 more). The error happens as soon as it gets to the HDD LED on the bottom (see picture). [​IMG] Sorry for the low quality image.
    Here's a better one of the whole system as it is right now.
    [​IMG]

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Clean it with a can of air and make sure. It makes no sense to waste time [and money] troubleshooting if you have failed caps on the board.

If after cleaning they look ok, then start swapping parts.

FWIW I would put my money on either a failed pw supply or failed mb.

12. Steelecyurs

Been spraying it all day lol.

Ill see if my old 300W can at least pull up the BIOS and check back in.

13. dai

dai

that is not a good idea you stand the chance of it blowing and destroying other parts

14. Steelecyurs

At this point the only thing in my system is my MOBO, processor and I would put a graphics card back in. I think it can handle the load.

15. dai

dai

the system will not boot as far as the bios without graphics and ram being installed

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice