Fresh XP install, SP2 problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Machen

I have a laptop on which I have recently reinstalled windows xp (fresh install). I have two problems which may be related. First I have some PCI device which I cannot identify. I have been all over dell driver site for this laptop... no joy. I called and talked to Dell support and they could not identify this device either (I have made no additions to the laptop since its purchase)
The second problem I am having is that SP2 will not install, actually it will install but when the install completes and the computer reboots it comes up with a BSOD with a stop code of 0x0000008e.

any help is appreciated. thank you.

The problem could be due to the unknown device. Take an inventory of each and every device on the computer, sound, modem, nic (wireless + hardwired), usb firewire, monitor, all drives - 'everything'. Go to the Device Manager and check off each device on your inventory, then check the bios for enabled devices.

Review this site: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

What is the model of the Laptop . . The unknown pci device will often the a modem . . sometimes the sound card, and on some Dells, sometime the Dell Support button.

Do you have the newest BIOS version installed?
Do you have a Prescott Processor?

What sequence did you follow? . . the Least problematic is:

Install Operating system
Install SP2
Install the Laptop Management program
Install Chipset driver
Install all other drivers

Machen

its a Dell Inspiron 6000. I thought I had accounted for all of the hardware on the laptop, and the drivers are installed and the components all work. thats kinda the mystery here, but I am glad to hear that you think it could in fact, be the hardware issue that is causing the sp2

Machen

I appreciate the ideas, am downloading now, will check bios as well. thank you. will post the results in a bit.

Machen

I tried the first three suggestions from the last post. bios version A09, installed notebook system software, the media desktop would not install dell media direct: it reported xp pro was the wrong os for this computer. oh, i had not tried uninstalling the video card in safe mode, if i can what then?

"oh, i had not tried uninstalling the video card in safe mode, if i can what then?"

Then install an updated driver. Be sure to download and save the driver to your hard drive first. Another thing that comes to mind is did you install the chipset drivers?

If no luck, post a screen shot of the device manager.

Machen

installed chipset drivers first, I will look for updated video drivers and install. thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.