Fresh XP install wont see my hardrive - help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Solnyshko

Have installed new hard drive, a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint, slipped in my XP disk - and windows setup says this:

Windows XP Professional Setup

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3

Could it be that Windows Setup is not seeing the HDD because it is SATA, may need specific drivers or similar? Vaguely remember this happening the last time i installed the OS on this system, but this was years ago. It appears in the Bios on bootup, so the machine itself is counts it as present.

Running an AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+ on a DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B motherboard, with 1GB of RAM

Any help much appreciated - completely stumped :(

Check BIOS setup first to be sure that there is nothing there disabling SATA or to choose a boot device. Chances are you need to load a driver at the F6 prompt.

midnight51

Banned
Did you remove your old system drive that already contained an OS to put the 500gb drive in or did you slave the 500gb drive and I'm not sure? You may need to upgrade the firmware of your motherboard to support a drive of that size.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online