1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fresh XP Pro Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ram911, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ram911

Ram911 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    I have a question regarding the installation of XP Pro, I am currently running an UN LICENSED version of XP PRO on my desk top I have purchased a LICENSED version and wish to install the fresh version and wipe all remains of the old. I am not sure of the terms being used with the install cd and would like someone to help with a step by step of this process. I wanted to re formatt my C: drive to clean off all programs with the old OS and install fresh, But my problem is how do I install if I can not reboot?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot with your xp cd [the legit one] have the cd set as the first boot device in the bios. After setup loads, choose to install. The next menu will show all of the drive that you can install xp to. Choose the partition that has your current install and then choose to delete it. You will get a warning that it is a system partition. Just acknowledge and continue. Now choose to create a partition in the unallocated space. Format with ntfs and you are good to go.

I install in this order. It gives the most stable system.

1 Install os
    2 Install chipset / mb drivers
    3 Install sp2
    4 Install sound, nic, raid, sata drivers if necessary
    5 Install video driver last

Now install apps and games.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

When I did this on a system belonging to someone in similar circumstances, I put her new legal CD iithe CD ROM drive, booted as normal to the hard drive and typed in the command line D:\WINNT32 /unattend. This installed a new version of XP Pro over her "borrowed" version and forced a reactivation, which I chose to do by telephone, having used the "Change Product Key" option. I then told the MS telephone operator why I was doing it and was given a new PID to key in.

We then took her old "bent" CD and put it in the microwave oven - what a light show.

4. Arky

Arky

The attached pdf has everything you need and more.

Attached Files:

5. Ram911

Ram911 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    CrjDriver everything went well with the XP install, But when I placed my Systemboard cd into run the autosetup I recieved an error Warning HKEY_DYN_DATA\Config Manager\Enumcan't be found. this CD has IDE drivers, VGA drivers, Sound drivers, Fax and Modem drivers, Lan drivers, Media ring talk, and supervoice all on a auto set up disk. I believe all of this is already there from the initial set up 2 years ago. Also where can I get sp1 and sp2 ?

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Ram, I don't think there's any reason to think your original configuration will have changed just by updating the OS. You shouldn't need to reinstall any of the things you've mentioned.

7. dai

dai

you don't need sp1 just install sp 2 if you just purchased the disk look at the disk it should have at least sp1 already incorporated if not sp2
    i would have just changed the serial and reactivated

8. Ram911

Ram911 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    OK I recieved SP2 from the windows update tool and dowloaded it, After the download I went into my computer and noticed my 40G hdd showed up as primary but my 160G hdd was missing in action. It was there prior to the SP2 is there some way of accessing this drive?

9. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Ram, I think your first step is the BIOS menus to make sure the larger drive is recognised in there. If it is, then go Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management to check why it isn't showing up in Explorer. This is the first instance of this problem I've heard relating to SP2 so I shall be interested to hear back from you.

10. Ram911

Ram911 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ray
    I went into the BIO's and it shows up as 160G hdd slave but still did not show up in explorer. Next I went ino the device manager to see if it showed in my hardware list still a no show, Finally I checked the SHOW ALL HIDDEN and then clicked on DETECT ANY HARDWARE CHANGES and it detected the drive at 149G. I do not know if Sp2 is the cause but I have 10g hidden for some reason maybe the Bio's on this 2001 PC chips M817 Motherboard? I am looking around now to see if I can find an upgade for the Bio's on this board, Do you have any suggestions on how to update without any errors?

11. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

My suggestion would be to go to http://www.lavalys.com Ram and download Everest Home v 1.0. This will give a complete and very comprehensive report on your system, hard, firm and software. Don't even think about printing the report - mine ran to 103 pages. Where it can read the information from hardware, it will publish the appropriate website to visit to download updates.

Assuming your 160Gb drive was new and not partitioned at all, I'm at a loss as to where your missing 11Gb has gone.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice