1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Freshly installed win7 with super slow internet speeds

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by newerest, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newerest

newerest Thread Starter

Hello, I have had this problem ever since the summer. I would tell you the speeds I'm getting from testmy.net, but the page is still loading. It's been over 30 minutes.

Anyway, I have installed the drivers for the motherboard that came with the disc and such, and I still have no success. It is really annoying at this point, basically not being able to use my computer.

Any advice for what I should do? I'm connected via ethernet, I will have to get my wireless adapter back from my friend to test that out.

2. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

What provider do you have?
    Were do you live?
    Have you called your ISP?
    Have you tried a new Ethernet cord?
    What type of modem?
    What type of router?
    Is it slow in safe mode w/ networking?

Please answer all these and then I'll start typing up some things to attempt/try. Let's get your internet back up to speed! Also, try speedtest.net

3. newerest

newerest Thread Starter

My provider, not sure. it's school internet.

I live in houston texas, going to university of houston

have not tried a different ethernet card IN THAT COMPUTER, but on my netbook wired works fine. (same cord/same plug)

different cords don't work

can't answer

What type of modem?
    What type of router?

bc I just plug it into the wall. Not sure what this kind of network is called, lol.

yes it is slow with safe mode w/ networking.

not to be a dick but I'm not even going to try that website. Pages simply take for ****ing ever to load if they even do. I tried loading msn over an hour ago, the progress bar isn't even at half yet.

I'm going out tonight, but i'll come back to this thread. I will get the new drivers installed.

4. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Thanks for providing answers.

The fact that it works in your netbook and not in this PC fine is very weird. Definitely try getting the drivers from the internet on a different PC and transfer to this one via a Flash Drive and try that. If that does not work, something might just be wrong with your motherboard.

Sounds like you're in a dorm, maybe try a friends room and see if it is still slow there just to 100% verify it is only the PC?

5. w7pro

w7pro

When I was in college, our shared connection in the dorm was just inherently slow. It was vastly improved once I went to the library or a cafe. Again, it's just my personal experience, but you might want to test the wireless options elsewhere, if possible.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice