1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fried hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickejoe, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickejoe

nickejoe Thread Starter

Just installed a maxtor 200gig hard drive. Got it up and running for a day and transfered lots & lots & lots files to it. It is a third drive, so I installed it with a sabrent pci controler card. Also have 2 cd-dvd player\burners. computer is a Dell 8200 p4 w/250w power supply. Have an gforce 4600 nvidia video card w/on board fan. Because the card produced so much heat I installed a cpu fan and another fan on the case to bring in air. When I installed the new maxtor there was not enough power plugs to run all. I unpluged the case fan so I could give power to the new drive. All went well until I installed a y connector and hooked up the fan. About 60 seconds and the comp shut down and a burning smell filled air. An inspection of the hard drive showed a black/burned/smelly spot on the drive circuit board.
    Question 1: (most important) I have seen info about data recovery by changing the circuit board and have ordered a identical drive form same supplier. Any helpfull comments regarding the data recovery & circuit board repair?
    Question 2: Was hooking up the case fan the cause of the hard drive failure or was it just a coincidence? (need the case fan but don't want to fry a new drive) Any thoughts?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Firstly I don't believe the drive electronics should have self destructed with heat in the firat place, and I would be returning the drive to the maker. Plainly though, that is not going to be possible if you have to swap the controller board as it would invalidate the warranty.

It should be straightforward to swap the board but is would depend how it is attached.

3. Cell

Cell

you might want to consider upgrading the powersupply to something besides a 250w. a 350 or 400w might work better for you (more plugs for both fan and drive).

4. nickejoe

nickejoe Thread Starter

Used a web site that calcu watts. It said I need min 295w.
    Wonder if the fan addition to the power circuit caused a surge or drain or something?

5. pronute

pronute

Simple Ohms law you over loaded the PSU at 250 watt full load you drew 48 Amps threw the 12 volt rail burning out the protection diode on the IDE board, the 12 volt rail is at normal load of no more then 28 Amps. Dells aren't known for their quality PSU and yours had no overload protection, you need at least a 350-watt PSU, and a bigger case to handle all the accumulated heat that your overburdened system generates.

6. nickejoe

nickejoe Thread Starter

Got on the Dell forum and found that Dell PS are ATX standard, but most PS will not fit w/o case mods. Found an 425w PS made for Dell boxes @ http://pcpowercooling.com/. Cost more $ but no mods. Got the HD today and will have the PS on friday. Thought I would wait until I install the PS before taking on the HD. Any Ideas on the PS install?
    Also think I will Transfer the OS and programs that are on my "c" drive to a new larger drive so I can eliminate the third HD. Any ideas on the transfer?

7. winbob

winbob

Pronute,

Where did the 48 Amps number come from? Were you adding up component draws??
    That would be OVER 570 watts on the 12V rail itself. :eek:

The PS should have had a meltdown before that point.

I'm guessing that the HD board failed and took down the rest?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have no idea where the 48 amp idea came from, but there's no way a disk drive manages to draw anything close to that! The PCB traces would be long gone before it was even close.

As far as the drive cooking, that could have been a random failure. I've seen several drives go up in smoke for seemingly no reason, though I'm sure there was some reason. :) If the P/S was working properly, and you just added the drive and powered on, I can't imagine how the P/S could have taken the drive out without killing a lot more stuff.

There is no realistic option to repair the hard disk, though I've been reasonably successful in swapping boards from identical drives.

9. stlucia007

stlucia007

Try a data recovery company if all else fails. I prefer www.rewave.com

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice