1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fried harddrive? replace or other solution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kramer8886, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kramer8886

kramer8886 Thread Starter

i'll keep it short. this is kindof a follow up to my other posts. basically i had the BSOD telling me i had "unmountable volume". After trying to reboot in the last know configuration and safe mode, and having both of them fail, i tried Chkdsk /r and Chkdsk /p and fixboot with no luck. They most i got in the hours i tried to let them run was 1% complete. So, i have a computer that is not functional whatsoever and i would like to get it up and running asap as i am back to college for classes now. I am thinking the next step is a repair install of windows?! is this the next best thing? Or is my hard drvie completely shot and i would be best to just replace it.

but, i was hoping this was the last option since i do have some family photos on the drive. Any suggestions you would have are greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help again guys! :rolleyes:

2. norton850

norton850

If the drive is bad then it may be difficult to get the information off of it with spending lots of money. There a few things you can still try.

In the recovery console you can try the fixboot command at the command prompt: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixboot.mspx?mfr=true

If you do a repair install it should not remove any of your data: Repair Install
    If the drive is bad you will have problems doing this.

You can go to your HD manufacturer web site a download a HD diagnostic utility. Usually there is both a floppy and CD version.

As always check the drive cable and try another one.

If the drive comes up bad you might be able to get your data off of it slaving the HD either in another system or the one you're using after a new HD install.

3. kramer8886

kramer8886 Thread Starter

1.) I already tried the fixboot command in the recovery console and it came up after an hour still saying 1% complete so i figured something was wrong and it wasnt able to go any further.

2.) This problem is occurring on a Dell Inspiron 300m laptop. So, there aren't cables to worry about since it is my internal harddrive. And if I downloaded the HD diagnostic utility (I am assuming from Dell, or i will have to look up the actual manufacturer) will i be able to use it even if i can not start windows on my computer or would this be something that i can not do?

3.) I do not have another HD for the laptop that is what i am trying to get around if i can, but it doesnt seem like there is much hope.

Any further help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!:eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/617541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice