1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fried HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GyBear, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

Yes, literally. Smoke coming out of the case. :cool:

Had a few dying on me, but never like that. The controller board caught fire near the power connector.

Now, I'm not asking how to revive the HDD ;-). And I ran regular backups.

My problem is to understand how could such a thing suddenly happen, since I strongly suspect putting a new drive won't solve anything.

I don't have any equipment to physically test the hardware. I can't see the motherboard being faulty :confused:. Am I right in blaming the power supply? :mad:

TIA.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I'd suspect a poor solder connection on the power lead. If the P/S was blowing up disks, it would have done the CD drive in too I would imagine. :) It is possible that the P/S is defective, but absent other evidence, I'd suspect simply a disk failure.

3. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

Hello johnwill, old chap.

Up to mischief again? ;) Want me to set fire to what's left of my comp? I do have an extra HDD, but not any spare P/S, so I'll have to retry with the same old one...

Now, if I don't see any more smoke, how will I know if the CD drives didn't blow up the first time? :p

All joking set aside, two things:

1) Both CDs are powered through a different wire (I never looked inside a P/S to see if all wires originated from the same source).

2) I had an intermittent problem with the same computer before. The KBD wasn't responding, and I had to turn the P/S off (back switch), then back on to have the KBD working again (Yes, it was a brand new one I had tested on another machine).

BTW, thanks for answering. :D

4. JohnWill

All the disk power connectors come from the same place. :)

If you have noticed other oddities, I'd consider shopping for a P/S too, though I've seen a number of electronic components go up in smoke simply because of a loose or poor connection. It normally happens when there's significant power being drawn from the source. Could a filter cap have smoked on that drive? That has happened to me on several MB's, as well as two video boards. I suspect they're tantalum caps in backwards, but by the time I get to inspecting them, there's just a couple of smoking wires left. :D In any case, if a filter cap went, you should see a couple of pads where it was mounted, and there's normally a cap close to the power connection.

5. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

I guess you hit it right. There are two unidenfiable rectangular things that could be caps. One is quite charred and must be where the fire originated.

Why did it catch fire?

6. JohnWill

My guess is either the cap just died, or it was installed backwards, and decided it was time to blow. I've seen tantilum caps go for months installed backwards, then go like a firecracker.

FWIW, the hard disk may well still work, since the cap going usually isn't fatal.

7. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

And johnwill saved the day. Again. :D

I'll be going live (wire) tomorrow, since the night might not be the best time to set my place on fire ;).

Can you see any connection between the erratic KBD and the burning disk?

8. JohnWill

Hard to say, though if the cap went, that's not really a sign that anything's wrong with the P/S by itself.

Actually, night time is the best time for the fire, it'll help you see what's going on! :D:D:D

9. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

Yes, you johnwill pyromaniac. Just in case you want to know, the P/S died, either with the HDD or -very quietly- thereafter.

RIP

Thank you for your support. :D :D :D

10. JohnWill

Maybe the drive took out the P/S. :)

11. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

No sir, the P/S took out everything: the HDD, the two CD drives, the video card, the mobo and the memory.

I'm left with the floppy drive, the AMR Modem, the case and its fan. Lucky me :D

12. rmay635703

rmay635703

What brand and size is that power supply?

It wouldn't happen to be Deer?

It would help those of us compiling a list of things to avoid, I had a deer psu that was putting out over 12v on the 5v and 3.3v lines and it destroyed my machine like yours.

Cheers

13. compilerxp

compilerxp

OUCH!! I feel for you man.... GyBear...

Ya know... it could have been a SURGE, how is your surge protector? If it TOO is blown and happens to be of a type with a $2500~10,000 warranty replacement - then they will replace your system.

Sigh - was the cheap stuff that lives.

I've had a spike blow out an external modem - saving the computer. I know of 3 PSU blowing up withot damaging the hardware (1 - dell, 2 - Antec) and a Gateway that blew out the ports, but otherwise boots... just no mouse, keyboard... heheh.

14. GyBear

GyBear Thread Starter

compilerxp,

Thanks for your sympathy. It wasn't a power surge, I'm on a UPS. Most probably a faulty ground.

rmay635703,

L&C Technology Inc. (no address, no country)
    Model: LC-300ATX
    300W
    The fuse was soldered directly on the circuit board (DR-200ATX v2.02).

15. JohnWill

If you're on a brand-name UPS, you should have their insurance against surges, I'd check...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice