1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fried mobo/processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mchale, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mchale

mchale Thread Starter

Hi
    Recentley a co-worker's computer was left on during an electrical storm and got zapped. there was no power going through the mobo to the components so I replaced mobo. Now everything gets power but doesn't boot, the monitor shows nothing. The hard drive is ok, Is it possible she needs a new processor? I would hate to waste her $$.
    Thanks-

2. onsite

onsite

turn off the pc, remove the ram, turn it back on. If you hear the pc beeping , it more than likely is ok.

disconnect the HD, FLOPPY , Remove non essential pci cards like netwrk, modem, reboot see if the pc will post.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you replace the power supply?

4. mchale

mchale Thread Starter

Hi - Yes -I put a brand new one in.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Could be shorted to the case. It has happened to me more than once. Have you tried booting it outside of the case with just the cpu, ram, and video installed? If not lay it on the box the mobo come in and try that.

Might just be the answer.

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

LOL, I don't know your background so let me say this. Leave the heatsink on the CPU. ;)

7. mchale

mchale Thread Starter

Thanks everyone -

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice