1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fried Mother board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fields, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fields

Fields Thread Starter

When installing an Ethernet card I shoved the red wire from the video fan into the PCI slot, subsequently, there is an area that looks fried on the board and I can not meter continuity between the posts.

Question is, Can I rebuild the system with getting a new mother board and possibly a video board and reuse the existing hard drive? The old system was A P4, 1.4gz with ME. I was thinking of going to a P4, 2.66GZ and reusing the hard drive etc. If so, what should I look out for at start up and is there any way to determine what else is fried in the system?

K Fields

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Are you saying that this system no longer works? Things like your hard drive, Video card, floppy, Optical drives, maybe CPU and Ram should be ok to use on another motherboard. Bet that was the tightest fitting PCI card you ever installed.

3. Fields

Fields Thread Starter

The system does not work, the fans start but the power light does not come on on the front and there is no video. The card really snapped into place, the power wire was pretty small and was broken when I removed the card. I repaired the wire and the system is dead except for the fans.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/196846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice