1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fried motherboard and/or CPU? Electrical problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hobbes9112, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hobbes9112

Hobbes9112 Thread Starter

Hi all-

I'm having a series of strange problems with my PC and I'm at my wit's end, so I thought I'd post here.

My specs:
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Motherboard
    AMD Phenom 9850
    4 GB GSkill DDR2 800 (PC6400)
    GeForce 7950GT
    Antec 650 watt power supply
    Sony DVD/RW
    Windows Vista 64

The system ran well for about 11 months and then restarted during a Windows Update and would not boot. After turning the machine off and restarting I got power to the motherboard (fans spinning) but it would not post or beep. I returned the board to Gigabyte and they sent me an RMA replacement.

I installed the board yesterday and the system worked fine for several hours. I was playing a game last night and after about 20 minutes the machine shut off. It will not turn back on and this time when I turn on the power it stays on for about 2 seconds and turns off.

I tested the power supply and it works fine with other systems. I've also tried a new power supply with no luck. I have removed everything but the CPU and it still won't power up. I've also tried booting the board while out of the case to eliminate the possibility of a short.

Could this be a bad processor or am I really unlucky enough to get two bad boards? I'm more likely to think that something else is shorting out my system.

Thanks!
    Brian

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

I seem to recall issues with this board and a need to update bios with certain amounts of memory and types of processors. Have you checked the site to make sure that it isn't something like that?
    I would check my CPU again and make certain the issue isn't related to overheating rather than a bad MB or CPU. Too much thermal paste and not enough can create heating issues that will automatically shut down a system.
    Games will over tax a cpu and can cause extreme heating issues and...again... shut down a system. Jazz

3. Hobbes9112

Hi Jazz-

Thanks for the quick reply. The bios updates on the gigabyte site list several processor identification updates, but they are for newer processors. I know that the replacement board had a new revision and a newer version of the bios. It worked fine for several hours before it shut down. At this point I can't update the bios because I can't turn on the machine.

I was wondering the same thing about the CPU. I've assembled about 6 machines over the years and I've never had this problem before. I thought maybe I used too much thermal paste, so I cleaned it off and started over this morning. It still won't turn on. Any suggestions on what to look for when examining the CPU? It did not look or smell burnt. I am still using the factory heatsink and the fan worked fine when I rebuilt the system yesterday.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

I've been back tracking reading some reviews and forums on the board and it appears your not the only one with these issues. I think you may need to consider fighting for another board and if possible perhaps another type.
    It seems some of the users have had 2 and 3 boards and haven't passed go as yet, and very little support from the manufacture. RMA's can sometimes net you a refurb, etc. So in answer to your question, yes you can get two bad boards. Jazz

5. Hobbes9112

Thanks for the advice Jazz. I've been pretty frustrated with the RMA process through Gigabyte. They took three weeks to get me this replacement. I'm tempted to just find a nice ASUS board that will work with my processor and RAM and move on. Anything else I need to do to rule out a bad CPU?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice