1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fried Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i have a computer,perhaps the mobo is fired(as a guess)

the computer was new,used for 3 months,then stored for 6 months.

i went to turn it on tonight,the light on the back of the computer is lit(where the power supply is located inside the computer). but the power button on the front will not start up the computer. i have tried over an hour,one time the computer went to start up,making a grinding noise,the light of the power button were flickering.

the computer was open one time,the ram was taken out and put back in.(testing memory on another computer). the computer was never turned on after that until now.....when it wasnt turned on.

2. seven

seven

If the ram was removed and the PC not retested for 6 months, I would make sure the RAM is reseated correctly and try that.

3. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

OMG,you were right!

there are ONLY two memory slots on the computer. the first slot is where the first ram stick went,the second is empty. i took the memory stick out of the first and placed it in the second memory slot. COMPUTER cam ON.

i was getting ready to jump off a bridge if the mobo was fried already. i got to go apologize to my cat,i snaped at her once when she came in and started getting nosy about why the computer was all opened up.

4. clarke123

clarke123

Pull power from all components except the motherboard and hard drive...see if it boots

5. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i shut the computer off,now it will not boot again. i never pulled the power out of any components except i unplugged the keyboard,mouse,external devices.

i just switched the ram stick back into the first slot,the computer booted!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When the computer does not boot, do you get any beeps from the speaker?

7. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i'll check now.
    nope,no beeps.

OK,i got it. I checked plugs on the motherboard,the problem was there. One of the plugs near the ram slot was half plugged in. it snapped in when i jingled it a little. I dont know the name of the plug but everyone in tech fourm will know it.

its the BIG,WHITE,rectangle plug that has wires coming from everyone in the computer,the drives,the power supply,etc.

the computer rebooted and rebooted and rebooted. the keyboard was recognized,mouse. the computer rebooted and rebooted.

thanks everyone that helped!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/243913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice